Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.

130 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robin Tripp
Robin Tripp
8 posts

Edited Dec 02, 2006, 20:57
Re: Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Dec 02, 2006, 17:38
My girlfriend is a huge fan of Spiritualized. As a result, I bought 'Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space'. It's good... but not what I'd call earth shattering. Certainly not as mind-bending as some of the reviews of the time would suggest (album of the 90's, etc). On the whole, it's overlong and packed with songs that sound like Primal Scream knocks offs, and for the most part, I can't stand Primal Scream* (a band famous for what exactly? Jumping from one band wagon to the next?).

As for OK Computer... I've honestly never understood the backlash against it. It's the kind of record that most people complain about the distinct lack of... "a mainstream rock record that goes against the popular music of the time to instead presents something that is unique, creative and experimental; though without losing that all-important personal touch. Most people seem to hate it because of it's success; using arguments like "it's not as good as Crispy Duck Testical by Insert Obscure Band Name Here!! I've often imagined that if it had been released and sold a whopping 5 copies, there would have been about 20 reviews of it on this very website calling it "the lost masterpiece of the 90's". Or maybe not?

At the end of the day, it's all subjective.

*with the exception of Vanishing Point, which is an amazing album.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index