Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Re: Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Nov 29, 2006, 19:01
MC5 - Back In The USA - Was expecting so much more after hearing KOTJ, where's the dynamism ?

Stone Roses - 1st - Maybe due to the absence of E in my life

Anything by Deep Purple - With the exception of Ian Paice's drumming I absolutely hate every about them

Anything by The Smiths - Yeah, Moz's lyrics are great but the music does diddly for me.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2006, 19:53
Nov 29, 2006, 19:07
Anything by Bob Dylan. Apart from his role in Hearts Of Fire which is funny as fuck.

The Clash. enjoyable enough but greatest rock n roll band ever? Nah! Don't connect for me.

Van Morrison. I like some tunes, Moondance especially, but a lot of the stuff I've heard is over egged pub soul. Boring. Liked Them though.

Spiritualized. Again, enjoyable enough, but you'd think they were the most mind-melting rock thing ever with the stuff that gets spouted about 'em. Not one album has elevated me above "That's quite good".
EDIT Levitation were miles better.
Hazy Dave
Hazy Dave
6 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:24
Revolver is a good Beatles album, but songs like "Taxman" and "Baby You Can Drive My Car" are rubbish. The strong tunes, of which there are many, don't make this the best Beatles album. I prefer the preceding one, Rubber Soul for its consistency of material and production. And, as far as polished masterpieces go, I think I prefer Abbey Road to Sgt Pepper, if only for the drum solo.
keith a
9565 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:25
Oi! I love them two!!

Used to think Pet Sounds was over-rated to be honest. And then at some point...I changed my mind! The re-mastered Marquee Moon is amazing. Adventure was seriously disappointing at the time though.

Like a few other people here, I don't get the fuss about The Stone Roses either. Liked a couple of tracks (and loved the later Fools Gold), but best album? Do me a favour!

Others that I think are really over-rated...

The Clash - London Calling
A few good tracks (great title track, and love Brand New Cadillac), but it's not great. Prefer the under-rated Combat Rock myself.

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
Don't get all the fuss about this at all. Like Tumblin' Dice, but much of the rest of it sounds half-arsed. Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers are miles better imo. Actually, I prefer It's Only Rock'n'Roll, too.

MC5 - Back In The USA
As Bubblehead asked 'where's the dynamism?'. OK, it's old, but they were contemporaries of The Stooges, and just don't compare. Having said, that I love Looking At You.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:26
Brian Doughnut... Tho' I do kinda dig 'Hairy Music'.

I'll go along with all the Dylans already said and, at the risk of having my knuckles rapped hard with a ruler, I'll venture that I never really liked any Magazine albums until 'The Correct Use of Soap'. The singles were ok but 'Real Life' and 'Secondhand Daylight' seemed to drag on. I liked my artschool with a bit of feist and spirit!!!
keith a
9565 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:27
Wasn't Drive My Car on Rubber Soul?
Hazy Dave
Hazy Dave
6 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:36
keith a wrote:
Wasn't Drive My Car on Rubber Soul?

You're right. In my defense, the US LP did NOT contain it. But it also lacks "Nowhere Man", a significant shortcoming. Still a better album, in my estimation (in whichever format), than Revolver, which always seems to turn up on "Best Of" lists.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:44
London's Calling - the Clash. Not a Clash fan whatsoever, not my thing really, doesn't help when you know someone who continually drones on about how great The Clash were. Overrated imo!!

Anything by The Smiths, i might have missed the point here but they just bore me senseless.

Troutmask Replica - good, but not THAT good!
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 19:58
A popular one arounfd here that never has done that much for me tbh..

Brainticket-Cottonwood Hill
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2006, 20:51
Nov 29, 2006, 20:46
totally agree with London Calling although the title track is the best thing on it for me
another few that sprung to mind

Blue Cheer - Outside Inside (never understood the fuss, very dull imho)

Silver Apples - S/T and Contact (groundbreaking maybe, but still very dull, marginally prefer the newer stuff but I even find that really dull too)

Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief (don't get me wrong I actually like this album alot but I really can't understand the praise that gets heaped onto it when you compare it to stuff like the early Steeleye Span albums that run rings round it imho, a question of taste I guess)

oh aye and most of the recorded output of the Grateful Dead and Devendra Banhart too
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index