Uncle Meat (Demo/Acetate)
Not played this disc yet

http://www.united-mutations.com/z/frank_zappa/boot_monoandacetates.htm
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Mothers/Zappa Mono & Acetate
Nov 28, 2006, 00:16
Cool. Hope you didn't pay for it, because that stuff has been circulating for years. Either way, I'm super psyched for the (please oh please oh please god) release of MOFO on Dec. 5 or 7th. I probably won't get it until the new year based on Barfko Swill's shipping policies and the fact that it's xmas, but I should get it nonetheless.

I was even one of the poor saps who pre-ordered the box and got my name on a piece of paper. Yeeha. It was the end of a drought ordering from them, because the last thing I bought was Civilization phase III. So I decided to order everything that got released in between and I'm really loving Everything is Healing Nicely. Great companion to the Yellow Shark. Oh and Imaginary Diseases is fantastic too. Can't say that many good things about the Joe's Corsaga, mostly throwaway tracks, but oh well.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Nov 28, 2006, 10:17
i really want that mono & acetate set... is there anywhere you can d/load?
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Nov 28, 2006, 14:47
What is on
the Freak Out !
4-cd set ?
I hav'nt seen
a track listing .
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 28, 2006, 15:19
Changing the subject slightly, I was amazed at how differently the vinyl Hot Rats is to the Rykodisk release (I take it they all are). I do however recall how 'In it for the Money'sounded on LP, and for some reason the language on it has been 'cleaned up' since!
I thought his restoration work could have been a bit better after all those tapes got damged, even although he said some it was impossible to recoup.
This does seem intersting though, and I'm sure quite available for download. Off I go again...
x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2006, 17:14
Nov 28, 2006, 16:55
There have been two versions of "We're Only In It For The Money" in circulation almost since it was released - a censored version and an uncensored version. I know the censored version was in print on record as early as 1969.

Meanwhile, my copy of the Rykodisc CD is definitely the uncensored one (it has the "flower power sucks" bit from "Absolutely Free" and the bit about "I can still rmember Mama with her apron in the back / feeding all the boys in Ed's cafe" which was ridiculously cut from the origiunal censored version. Are there two different editions of the Rykodisc CD too?
I know that Zappa re-recorded some of it for the Barking Pumpkin release that he put out himself in the early 90s, but the Rykodisc one I have claims to have been remastered directly from the original tapes, (which as far as I can tell, is true, and I've also heard the vinyl).
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 28, 2006, 16:59
'Mother People' doesn't have the 'shut your fucking mouth about the legnth of my hair/ how would you survive if you were alive shitty little person' bit in it, at the mad drum bit (not so mad on cd).
When I was 17, my landlord (a bona fide old hippy - even 'though Zappa couldn't stand them!) had all these great old records and I used to play that to death.
x
The Seth Man
1240 posts

Mothers/Zappa censored bits
Nov 28, 2006, 17:50
It was really "I can still remember Mama with her apron and her pad / feeding all the boys in Ed's cafe." Zappa said the record company people wanted to censor it because they thought it was naughty to make innuendos about tampons -- which Zappa wasn't doing, describing a diner waitress

I never picked up "WOIIFTM" on CD, but it is there on the Verve LP, or at least my copy

A version of "Mother People" off the "Mothermania" comp has the "Shut your fuckin' mouth about the length of my hair" line, and is completely different from the "WOIIFTM" version, as well.

Funny thing: that line IS on "WOIIFTM": only at the very end of side one...backwards

That British MGM "spray paint" comp of the Mothers also had a version of "Concentration Moon" with an extra small bit of creepy whispering (Gary Kellegren's, I think) mentioning something about producing the Velvet Underground.

The mono of "Freak Out" is far superior to the stereo: you hear more of Elliot Ingber's guitar, better separation and less muddy than the stereo.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Nov 28, 2006, 19:17
shanshee_allures wrote:
Changing the subject slightly, I was amazed at how differently the vinyl Hot Rats is to the Rykodisk release (I take it they all are). I do however recall how 'In it for the Money'sounded on LP, and for some reason the language on it has been 'cleaned up' since!
I thought his restoration work could have been a bit better after all those tapes got damged, even although he said some it was impossible to recoup.
This does seem intersting though, and I'm sure quite available for download. Off I go again...
x

one of the things that drives zappa fans to distraction is how he he remixed some of his best loved pieces (peaches en regalia, cheepnis, a.o.) and created what are commonly regarded as inferior versions for the cd releases. the original vinyl is where it's at, for sure.

for those of you interested in the (sometimes massive) disparity between the vinyl and cd versions, I can recommend the following site. Simply click on an lp title, then click on 'vinyl vs. cd'.

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/index.html

warning -- if you're really into Zappa, this is the equivalent of doing a 500 mic hit of blotter acid. in other words, you'll be busy for about the next 8 hours.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Nov 28, 2006, 21:56
1001realapes wrote:
What is on
the Freak Out !
4-cd set ?
I hav'nt seen
a track listing .

No one has. Not until the set comes out. But based on the sound clips on zappa.com, and Gail Zappa's comments, it's 3 cd's of stuff from the Freak Out sessions, plus some commentary from Zappa, and one cd of a 'version' of Freak Out. They couldn't just re-released the album, because they signed away that deal to Rykodisc. Perhaps live versions and alternate takes?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index