Blues & Jazz !
A genius !

I MISS YOU PHIL !!!
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: Snakefinger
Sep 26, 2006, 01:52
Yeah, we need some reviews here... The only album of his that I've heard is "Chewing Hides The Sound", which is great.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2378 posts

Sep 26, 2006, 02:00
"Greener Postures" his 2nd is
a Classic as well, also done with the
Residents, the 3rd " Manual Of Errors"
& 4th "Night Of Desirable Objects"
he has a crack band including
Eric Drew "Magic Band" Feldman !
All lost classics !
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Sep 26, 2006, 08:38
I'll do the chilli willi stuff. Give me about a year tho'
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Sep 26, 2006, 12:27
achuma wrote:
Yeah, we need some reviews here... The only album of his that I've heard is "Chewing Hides The Sound", which is great.

Same here!

We need reviews!

;-)
Kid Calamity
9040 posts

Sep 26, 2006, 12:30
Good call!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 26, 2006, 16:07
'Greener Postures' is definitley at least as great as "Chewing" and contains my absolute favorite Snakefinger track "The Golden Goat".

stop what you are doing and put on some Snakefinger now!
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Sep 26, 2006, 23:18
I have the 2-disc reissue of CHEWING HIDES THE SOUND and GREENER POSTURES. Fucking great stuff. I may prefer POSTURES slightly but they're both of similar quality. Anyone into '70s RESIDENTS would do well to pick it up seeing as how the Rez helped write most of the album. Good call and you're right, unsung for no apparent reason! When you think about it, even The Residents are pretty underrated.

Mike
frankvink
frankvink
35 posts

Re: Snakefinger on Dime-a-Dozen
Sep 27, 2006, 06:34
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=111688

An apparently quite unique gig by Snakefinger is currently seeded on Dime-a-Dozen. I don't know nothing of the good man, nor can I download at the moment but I'm sure you'll like this. Check out the other seeds by fredheadset, he's clearing out his "old box of tapes" and he's seeding some amazing stuff. The info fil for this torrent:

SNAKEFINGER playing live at Uilenstede ,in Amstelveen, The Netherlands on April 8. 1981

Recorded and broadcasted by VPRO radio.

This is the speed corrected version without glitches in some songs of the torrent which was recently seeded by me but unfortunately with some distractions and faults.
Now to make it up, here it is again !

Now here is a torrent of a concert I'd give my left arm for to go back in time !

Snakefinger (born Philip Lithman in London) was an extraordinary multi-instrumentalist who had played with several groups before he started to go solo.

In 1971 he started playing with the crazy Californian pop combo The Residents which he did until his demise in 1987.
In 1972 Lithman returned to England and formed the pub rock band Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers with Martin Stone, a fellow ex-member of Junior's Blues Band.
As a duo, they released the album "Kings of Robot Rhythm". In 1974, as a full band and popular live act in Britain, they released "Bongos Over Balham"
After having first left to LA and after that back again to San Fransisco he recorded his first solo album, "Chewing Hides the Sound", using the name Snakefinger, a name he was given by The Residents , who helped co-writing and producing his album.
In 1980, his second album , "Greener Postures", came out, also co-written and co-produced with The Residents but also containing some of his own stuff.

When on tour in Australia in 1981, he suffered from his first heart attack,which left him hospitalized for six weeks.

In 1982 he formed his backing band The Vestal Virgins with former Captain Beefheart sideman Eric Drew Feldman.
They released three albums : Manual of Errors, Snakefinger's History of the Blues: Live in Europe and Night of Desirable Objects.

He performed with The Residents on their 13th Anniversary Tour in 1986.
I saw the concert they gave in Amsterdam at the Paradiso and WOW !I was flabbergasted.
After that I saw him perform with the Vestal Virgins once more at The Melkweg in Amsterdam and was blown away once more.

Note : The Residents were there too in the audience !
How would I know ? That's my secret.

On July 1, 1987, Snakefinger and his band, The Vestal Virgins, were in Linz, Austria, on the European Night tour. After a performance at the Posthof Club Lithman suffered a fatal heart attack. On that same day his single, "There's No Justice in Life", was released.

The concert I am seeding here is from 1981 , after the release of his second album.

Round this time Snakefinger hit the club circuit with a backing band variously known as "Bast" and the "Dead Residents".

A friend of mine, who had attended this gig , told me the band members were all dressed in battle dress and the place was ful with camouflage nets.
Weird.

Uilenstede is the bar/restaurant/club of a students complex in Amstelveen , very close to Amsterdam, where they had concerts once in a while.

This time they did it !

Setlist :

01 Living In Vain
02 Magic And Ecstacy
03 I Love Mary
04 Golden Goat
05 Smelly Tongues
06 Trashing All The Loves Of History
07 Don't Lie
08 Picnic In The Jungle
09 The Model
10 Here Come The Bums
11 Kill The Great Raven

Line up :

Snakefinger - guitar, pedal steel guitar, vocals
John (Bong-Hip) Ryan: Drums
Miguel Bertel: Guitar
George B. George: Bass

Guest vocal is none other than Blaine L. Reininger (Tuxedomoon).

Even though one may think this concert cannot have happened on April 8. 1981 because Snakefinger had his first heart attack after the concert in Melbourne on March 5 1981, taking six weeks to recuperate before going back to the US, THIS CONCERT DID HAPPEN AT THIS DATE !!!

Thanks to user "Andrefirst" I have a copy of the gig poster as an attachment, which proves it happened on this date and photos from this concert.
Also added the photo which was used on the poster.

Source : FM > Cassette > Audacity > CD Wave Editor > FLAC

Another one from the box of old tapes !

ENJOY !
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Sep 28, 2006, 12:18
http://www.myspace.com/snakefinger
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index