R.I.P. Syd

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: I've Been Blown away By The Response
Jul 12, 2006, 19:05
As well as all of the music and songs etc., I remember reading (via my older brothers copies of the music weeklies of the day), about his innovative and experimental approach to the electric guitar when playing live with The Pink Floyd.
Using small chrome rods and ball bearings (to name just a few techniques), to coax textures and sounds out of the instrument.
Probably one of the 'usung' influences that he had on so many innovators after him, which reached into all corners and genres of experimental musics and beyond.

Chin up, we're all with you.

~ JT
espsummer
340 posts

10 hours of christmas
Jul 12, 2006, 19:20
I remember the second time i experimented with psychedelics i had a tape of Piper at the Gates of Dawn with Saucerful of Secrets. I was in my room at my parents home without car and alone with this tape and a walkman. That recording was my security blanket. I looked out at the wind with "matilda mother" in my head. Smiling to the "outside". I was only 17. That forever lasting moment was one of the most connected i've ever felt with the universe. Everything was simply "yes".........Jesus bled.....pain is red........i'm alive.....flowers thrive.....realize!..........look at the sky look at the river....isn't it goooood?........the most comforting whisper.......prophetic.......my consciousness floated right out the door........
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Jul 12, 2006, 19:25
Many condolences - vibes your way xxx
dee
1955 posts

Re: R.I.P. Syd
Jul 13, 2006, 07:15
you were beautiful man...x
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jul 13, 2006, 08:35
Ha - I have very similar memories (without the paper round)!

Lots of love to you and your family Ian...

x
Father Sky
Father Sky
323 posts

Jul 13, 2006, 10:50
Yeah, the official Relics cassette has Interstellar Overdrive as track 1 - in at the deep end!

I have happy memories of listening to PATGOD on my walk to and from school, aged 15.

Syd will live on forever.
ars moriendi
ars moriendi
433 posts

Jul 13, 2006, 18:01
gutted beyond repair...

it's like we lost him twice; once in the 70's, and now this...
Myer
42 posts

Jul 13, 2006, 22:37
Really sad news; let´s listen to his wonderful music.

Rest in peace, man.

Myer
horazio
433 posts

R.I.P. Syd
Jul 14, 2006, 05:12
You'll always be remembered!
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Jul 14, 2006, 21:20
It's Friday evening. I've had a few glasses of wine and I'm playing (LOUD) Piper at The Gates of Dawn. This is my tribute to Syd.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index