Jul 11, 2006, 19:47
thank you KC.

x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2006, 20:05
Re: R.I.P. Syd
Jul 11, 2006, 20:04
It sounds like a vapid cliche to say that one of true originals has gone, but in this case it's absolutely correct. Rest in peace you one-off genius, you.
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Jul 11, 2006, 20:27
I don't want to believe this, opened the standard on the 5.37 and wept

RIP Syd
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Jul 11, 2006, 20:37
Bloody sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.
silogut
silogut
432 posts

That cat's something I can't explain...
Jul 11, 2006, 21:07
RIP Syd. Syd's passing brought back to me the joy of discovering his music in my teens when I heard Lucifer Sam with that strange & enticing lyric 'Lucifer Sam, siam cat.Always sitting by your side' against a great driving psychdelic music. His gift was to write great pop songs in the most out there fashion: completely unlike any other writer of his generation or anyone since.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 11, 2006, 22:08
awful news. Only 60 as well.
Rev Matt
26 posts

Jul 12, 2006, 00:13
I just heard. Haven't been on this site in a while but this was the first place I thought of going.

At the risk of sounding like a shameless name dropper, it was The Seth Man who first turned me on to Syd Barrett over 25 years ago. (I first turned him onto The Teardrop Explodes, should we call it even?) I remember listening to Piper at the Gates of Dawn for the first time and thinkingm "Damn, this blows the doors out of just about any other psychedelia I've ever heard." Still does.

My band covered Lucifer Sam. I tried to write songs on a par with Astronomy Domine and Intersteller Overdrive but fell short. Who hasn't? I would say that very few who were inspired by Barrett ever came close. Maybe Brian Eno and a couple of others. This is not to say that those who followed Barrett were somehow subpar. Far from it. I would have to say that among my top 100 favorite albums since 1967 close to half were strongly influenced by the early Floyd. Fried, Peggy Suicide, every Brian Eno album, Underwater Moonlight, Heaven Up Here, The Man Who Sold The World, Dealing With The Dead... the list goes one. All would be unimagineable without Piper At the Gates of Dawn.

What can we say? Syd Barrett set the bar pretty high as a lyricist, songwriter, arranger and guitarist.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Jul 12, 2006, 02:39
It's such a loss 'innit? The whole story is a terrible shame.
The poor man lost his sense of self as a young man, and lived for years and years as a shell.
And now his poor body fails him at 60. It seemed like he would have been able to share a new song or two with the world before he nestled into the warm hum of the flow of the universe.

I tap my hand on the cold drum's skin.
The newness reminds me that much time has past since we made music together.
"Darkness" she began, but I laugh, and say "An ominous start is only scary to the child that imagines what inhabits it. To the rest, they just see black."
Love and death are only blankets we can wrap ourselves around in.
Find comfort in the cold, find comfort in the heat.
Find comfort and you can give comfort.

I'll miss you Syd.
Your music will live on.
Your spirit of expansion, exploration will live on in the true heads, and your vision inspired many to follow their vision.

A
Child
In
Despair
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jul 12, 2006, 03:03
There's not really much more that can be added to the above tributes..... Syd was clearly loved by many & his influence will be felt for generations to come. I think he touched us all in some way & really that's as fitting a tribute for anyone. There aren't many that can achieve that.

So, bon voyage Syd. And thanks.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index