I as yet havent heard
this band,any recommedations
on where to start ?
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: Grobschnitt
May 29, 2006, 01:32
The first, self-titled album is good, but not for everyone... Jumbo is also good (maybe not as good as the debut), but more song-oriented. But the one I'd really suggest is Ballerman, which I think was their second. It's a double, and the prime attraction is the cosmic 'Solar Music' which is spread over sides 3 & 4. Also there's 'Solar Music Live' which is all just live versions of that track; shamefully I haven't heard that one yet. Ballerman doesn't seem to be available on CD, though, a pretty massive oversight... But, it's not all that rare on vinyl. You should be able to get their debut and Solar Music Live on CD without too much difficulty.
Beware Rockpommel's Land, which some prog heads will tell you is their masterpiece or something... it's a concept album that's pretty lame compared to the earlier stuff, much more of a regular dull symphonic prog thing like Yes & Genesis at their worst.
vladislav
vladislav
47 posts

May 29, 2006, 09:36
Hi achuma, I think that Ballerman is still available on Brain. That too, can be had quite cheaply probably no more that ten pounds. I must mention Volle Molle which I thought some of was quite good. I agree with the description of later stuff as symphonic Yes though it is clearly not as good as Yes, even the poor stuff. vladislav
achuma
achuma
503 posts

May 30, 2006, 03:26
Definitely. I am a Yes fan, by the way - at least up until Relayer, which I only like part of.
I've been trying to get Ballerman on CD for a while now and had no luck. Even GEMM doesn't have it listed on CD from any sellers, and my main local music shop can't get it from their main distributor, Bertus, who seem to have on their catalogue almost everything that's currently available, including other Grobschnitt titles.

By the way, I know at least one guy who refers to Grobschnitt as "Grobshit" - he doesn't like them, naturally. I don't agree, at least for the earlier stuff, but it makes me laugh all the same ;-)
vladislav
vladislav
47 posts

May 30, 2006, 09:04
Hi achuma, Have a look at Ultima Thule's web-site. They have a copy of the Ballerman CD and about seven other albums some on vinyl. Thay also have the GAM re-issue I mentioned. The GAM Eiszeit is a superb release. Buy it, you won't regret it. vladislav
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 31, 2006, 01:18
I've only heard them a bit, and they're definitely more of your "symphonic prog" style vs. "krautrock" per se (whatever "krautrock" sounds like exactly!)

Allegedly "Solar Musick Live" is the best one; I've also heard praise for "Rockpommel's Land" (sic) -- though that one sounded awfully wimpy to me, like smooshy Genesis or PFM or something.

Admittedly, my knowledge is limited here -- let's just say I wasn't blown away by my limited exposure!
achuma
achuma
503 posts

May 31, 2006, 03:12
I'll check it out. I used to buy from UT a lot, haven't for about a year now.

Anyway, I borrowed an LP copy of Ballerman from a friend, and am trying to clean it up for cd-r. Unfortunately there's lots of pops in part 1 of Solar Music, but I may be able to get it sounding clean. If not then it's off to the UT shop I go! I'll have to get Eiszeit from them, anyway.
achuma
achuma
503 posts

May 31, 2006, 03:14
I'd suggest keeping a wide berth around 'Rockpommel's Land'... The kind of folks who think that is a good or even great album are not the kind of prog fans I have much in common with.
I'd say, don't make up your mind for good on this band until you've heard Solar Music from the Ballerman album. Haven't heard Solar Music Live so I don't know if the live versions are better, or not as good. Subjective anyway, I guess ;-)
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Ballermann
Jun 01, 2006, 16:06
Yep - Ballermann is the Grobschnitt album to listen to. Solar Music (Side 3&4) is brilliant - especially the quiter parts that build up a very special form of peaceful acid trance. Some prog elements in there too, regretfully.

You'd also like to sample "Sahara" - funny fake-English lyrics:

"Take your kar, drrive to Afrika, in the Saharra you'll find the Bones of Ali Baba..."

Kinda Grobschnitt's world traveller version of Düül's "Deutsch Nepal" - which came a few later, as all you clever Krautrockers know...
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: Ballermann
Jun 02, 2006, 01:52
Is that the first track? First track on Ballerman is pretty funny... these guys were really pretty hilarious, but most of it came through visually, judging from photos I've seen (well, especially the photos on the sleeve of Ballerman!).
By the way, I'm not averse to 'prog' per se (as if it's not obvious to anyone who's read many of my posts), I'm just a lot more fussy when it comes to 'mainstream prog' and more unimaginative symphonic prog. Not terribly into Genesis, for example (though I recently heard Foxtrot in full and was surprised to actually like a fair bit of it), but nearly any other prog, bring it on! I love the stuff.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index