"Only After Dark"

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

"Only After Dark"
Apr 29, 2006, 14:21
I don't know if anyone has heard of this album release yet? i only heard about it because Nick Rhodes and John Taylor were talking about it to Jonathan Ross this morning. Anyway, they're releasing this album (not their musical covers you'll be pleased to know) of genuine tracks by the likes of Wire, Brian Eno, John Foxx, Mick Ronson, Kraftwerk. To me it sounded pretty good and worth a listen. Hope this link works. ;) xx http://www.duranduran.com/main.html it's got the track listings there.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Only After Dark
Apr 29, 2006, 17:12
If it's 80s synth stuff you want, you could worse than White Rose Movement's new album, 'Kick'.
'Love Is A Number' and 'Alsation' are both great
keith a
9572 posts

Re:
Apr 29, 2006, 17:34
As their covers album Thank You was recently nominated as the worst album EVER in Q, I'm not sure if I'm pleased these are original versions and not DD covers, or not ; )

Anyway, pretty good tracklisting (with "strange post-punk bands such as Magazine and Wire"), though as a Birmingham band themselves, it's a shame they couldn't have found a spot for fellow Brummie The Nightingales, esp as one of the Taylors was apparently a fan.

Tracklisting:

Human League – Being Boiled (Fast version) (3.39)

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Computer Games (3.32)

David Bowie – Always Crashing In The Same Car (3.29)

Psychedelic Furs – Sister Europe (5.38)

Simple Minds – Changeling (4.11)

Mick Ronson – Only After Dark (3.30)

John Foxx – Underpass (3.53)

The Normal – Warm Leatherette (3.22)

Bryan Ferry – In Crowd (4.33)

Brian Eno – The True Wheel (5.11)

Tubeway Army – Are Friends Electric? (5.17)

Kraftwerk – The Robots (single edit) (3.45)

Donna Summer – I Feel Love (3.48)

Wire – I Am The Fly (3.06)

Magazine – Shot By Both Sides (3.57)

Grace Jones - Private Life (5.11)

Iggy Pop – The Passenger (4.41)

Ultravox – Slow Motion (3.29)
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Re:
Apr 29, 2006, 17:56
Ha! thanks for listing the tracklist Keith. xx Lets be relieved that they are not covers eh? ;) x Just a thought but did you know how to dance to Wires' The Fly? ;D
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Apr 29, 2006, 17:57
Oh Gnomon! Are you giving me homework? Added them to my list to check out, thank you. x
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Apr 29, 2006, 18:50
The Human League did a cover of 'Only After Dark' that used to have be boppin' on the dance floor (though their 'Empire State Human' was a more popular choice for the DJ.)
:o)
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Apr 29, 2006, 21:10
Apr 29, 2006, 20:56
I was a big Human League fan, whilst at college up in their neck of the woods. The first two albums were great. There was a very popular single called 'Marianne', which filled the dancefloor every thursday evening at a club called Fusion in Chesterfield in 1979.

SC, I too heard the Johnathon Ross show on BBC Radio 2, this morning. It took me right back to that period - and to singing/shouting "Underpants" along to John Foxx's 'Underpass'!
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Apr 30, 2006, 08:07
I've heard loads of new music from his show to be fair, this album i'm going to get, you also must have heard the Sparklehorse track he played. I've started another thread about them. xx
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Apr 30, 2006, 08:12
Actually, I missed the Sparklehorse track.

›Dashes off to Sparklehorse thread to avoid diverting this one.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Apr 30, 2006, 11:39
A pretty decent compilation - though several of the tracks have surfaced elsewhere - 'Warm Leathrette' & 'Being Boiled' on Rough Trade's electronic compilation, while 'BB' was on 'In the Beginning There was Rhythm', & 'BB' is on the upcoming post-punk compilation 'Rip It Up and Start Again' that ties in with the book of the same name...
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index