Unsung Forum »
60s/70s HeavyBluesPsychProtoMetalFuzz

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dumf
13 posts

Re: 60s/70s HeavyBluesPsychProtoMetalFuzz
Mar 03, 2006, 19:16
Yeah...try Pink Fairies first (Neverland) which is awesome or anything by Hawkwind upto (and including) Warrior at the Edge of Time
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Leaf Hound
Mar 03, 2006, 19:23
Wow that's some chugular sludge collection dude? Have you had a bit of a thirst for the detuned monolithic riffery of times past?

You might want to check The Sword and Witchcraft for some 21st century Cambrian Epoch style Brontoriffs

The bits I've heard you might like.
MC
638 posts

Mar 03, 2006, 21:20
I second Growers of Mushroom, Blues Creation and would also add Flower Travellin' Bands Satori and Dew's first, both Japanese and maybe High Tide.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Mar 04, 2006, 02:10
I think I'm going to see The Sword tonight (Early Man is headlining . . . )
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Mar 04, 2006, 02:15
Daemon - The Entrance to Hell [pre-Hard Stuff] [UK]
Dark - s/t [UK]
Deep Purple of course... [main ones natch being In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head]
Deviants - Ptoof!; Disposable; s/t aka 3
Dies Irae - First [Germany]
Doctor Downtrip - s/t [Denmark]
Drugi Nacin - s/t [Yugoslavia]
Dschinn - s/t [Germany]
Dug Dug's - Smog [Mexico; fuck yeah!]
Dust - s/t; Hard Attack [US; first is better and more consistent - Hard Attack has some great tracks but also a bit of soft padding]
Edgar Broughton Band - Wasa Wasa [later albums have their moments too, but this debut is a nasty gem - Beefheart meets The Stooges, anyone?]
Elias Hulk - Unchained [UK]
Elonkorjuu - Harvest Time [Finland]
Epitaph - Outside the Law [Germany]
Erna Schmidt - Live 69-71 [Germany]
Estes Brothers - Transitions [US]
Euclid - Heavy Equipment [US]
Euphoria - Lost in Trance [US]
Fanny Adams - s/t [Australia]
Fire - Could You Understand Me? [Yugoslavia]
Flea - Topi O Uomini [Italy]
The Flow - Greatest Hits [US]
Flower Travellin' Band of course...
and unlike Julian I am a big fan of Foodbrain - Social Gathering [and it's not just me, everyone I've played it to has loved it!] [Japan]
Fraction - Moon Blood [US]
Freedom's Children - Astra; Galactic Vibes [S. Africa]
Friedhof - s/t [Germany]
Frijid Pink - Defrosted [US; the other albums I don't think are as good as this one]
Frost - Live at the Grande Ballroom [check this one out if you need convincing about this Detroit band - more consistent than any of the proper albums]
Fuse - s/t [US]
Garybaldi - Astrolabio [Italy; the heavy rockin' comes mainly on side 2; haven't yet heard the earlier album]
Geeza - Streetlife [Australia]
German Oak - s/t [Germany]
Gift - s/t [Germany; Blue Apple, the 2nd, is good too but more commercial]
Glory - On the Air [US]
Gomorrha - I Turned To See Whose Voice It Was [Germany; very unlike Trauma, which is more common in shops; this one is riff-filled high quality heavy progressive]
Grail - s/t [UK; not all heavy, but the heavy stuff is great and so raw... whole album is good, though]
Early Grand Funk of course... I would say On Time, Grand Funk, Closer To Home, Live Album and Live - The 1971 Tour would be the most reccommendable
Grand Theft - Hiking Into Eternity [US; this is the definitive comp., and not the same as the Grand Theft from later in the 70's; a review for this is soon to come]
Granicus - s/t [US]
Gravy Train - s/t [UK; shamefully overlooked, this debut - most progheads go for the later albums but for me this is the most satisfying, and has some great heavy riffmonsters]
Grodeck Whipperjenny - s/t [US; not all heavy, but when this unusual psych-funk band whip out the nasty fuzz riffs, man oh man... and they did an album backing James Brown called Sho Is Funky Down Here, which is also great heavy funk-psych rock]
Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb; Split; Who Will Save The World?; Hogwash; Solid; Live at Leeds '71; US Tour '72 [that last one is so fuckin' heavy and fucked-up...]
Grupa 220 - Slike [Yugoslavia]
Grupo Ciruela - Regreso Al Origen [Mexico]
Gun - s/t; Gunsight [UK; both patchy albums, but the good stuff is worth it - for me, anyway!]
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Off the top of me head
Mar 04, 2006, 02:23
Whoah! That's a long list going there.

Some bloozoid heaviness I have been enjoying lately would include:

Oldies:

Silberbart "4 Times Sound Razing" - German classic!

Flower Travellin' Band "Satori" - from Japan, another masterpiece!

Socrates Drank The Conium "On The Wings" - from Greece, their other LPs also have their moments, but this one is the heaviest.

Simply Saucer "Cyborgs Revisited" - supercool Canadian underground band, like Floyd-Velvets-Hawkwind in their prime, but no one knew who they were . . . think it was Cope's AOTM before.

A groovy punk band that sounds sorta like out-of-tune Sir Lord Baltimore records, played too slow with the hole punched off-center:

Crime - "San Francisco's Doomed" seems to be their closest to a proper LP. (They dressed like cops and played gigs in prisons, and they were called "Crime" getit? Hahahaha . . . you would know them from their song "Hotwire My Heart", Sonic Youth covered it.)

Contemporary Japanese bands that rule in a 70s fuzzprogblooz way:

DMBQ

Eternal Elysium

(I'm sure there's a lot more where these came from -- recently I heard of a band called High Rise . . . )
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

The Sword! Early Man et al.
Mar 04, 2006, 02:26
Yup, Priestess and The Suit (local band with 3 bassists and no guitars) are also on the bill -- sounds like a night of pure doom!

I'll let you know if I manage to survive such pummeling riffs!
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Mar 04, 2006, 02:56
Hackensack - Live The Hard Way [UK]
Hairy Chapter - Can't Get Through [Germany]
Hard Stuff - Bullet Proof; Bolex Dementia [UK]
Jessie Harper - Guitar Absolution [New Zealand]
Haystacks Balboa - s/t aka Detoxified [US? UK?]
Haze - Hazecolor-Dia [Germany]
Help - Second Coming [US]
High Tide - Sea Shanties; s/t; Open Season [UK]
Highway Robbery - For Love Or Money [US]
Randy Holden - Population II [of course]
Horse - s/t [UK]
Host - Pa Sterke Vinger [Norway; second album Hardt Mot Hardt has some great stuff too, but a tad more commercial overall]
The Human Beast - Volume One [UK]
Human Instinct - Stoned Guitar; Pins In It [New Zealand; first album Burning Up Years is good too but not quite AS good]
Icecross - s/t [Iceland]
Incredible Hog - Volume 1 [UK]
Iron Claw - Dismorphophobia [UK]
Iron Maiden - Maiden Voyage [UK; no, not THAT Iron Maiden... this actually isn't all that heavy, but it has the blueprint of metal through and through]
I Teoremi - s/t [Italy]
Jacula - In Cauda Semper Sat Venenum [Italy; remember when I mentioned Antonius Rex above? (and not all Antonius Rex albums are of that ilk) This is the pre-Antonius Rex group, and again inventing black metal far too early, alongside gothic organ spookery]
Jade Warrior - s/t [UK; heavy riffage alongside more fragile flutey stuff, lovely... second album Released is more rocky but not quite as good, whilst third Last Autumn's Dream has some great atmospheric stuff before they launched their new direction on Island, but the track 'Snake' from this is a deathly Sabbatherian slab of psychosis I could play all day!]
Jenghiz Khan - Well Cut [Belgium]
Jericho - s/t [Israel]
Jericho Jones - Junkies Monkeys & Donkeys [Israel]
Jeronimo - s/t [Germany; man, more folks should know about this killer... Time Ride has some good stuff, but this self-titled album is the peak, no question]
Jerusalem - s/t [UK; review of this killer to come]
Jodo - Guts [UK]
Josefus - Dead Man/Get Off My Case [US]
JPT Scare Band - Sleeping Sickness [US; review to come]
Juan De La Cruz - Himig Natin [Philippines]
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla; Sad Wings of Destiny
Kahvas Jute - Wide Open [Australia]
Kalevala - People No Names [Finland; ok, more of a progressive rock item, but there are great heavy rockin' songs]
Jun Kamikubo - Nothingness [Japan; only a couple of heavy tracks]
Peter Kaukonen - Black Kangaroo [US]
Kebnekaise - Resa Mot Okant Mal [Sweden]
Killing Floor - Out of Uranus [UK]
Kleptomania - 1969-1975 [Belgium]
Light of Darkness - s/t [UK]
Litter - Emerge [US]
Luv Machine - s/t [UK]
Lyd - s/t [US]
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Mar 04, 2006, 02:56
Mad Dog - 617 [US]
Magi - Win Or Lose [US]
Mahogany Rush - Maxoom; Child of the Novelty [Canada]
Mariani - Perpetuum Mobile [US; I'll never understand why some people, like myself and friends, think this is wicked, whereas others think it is ordinary or that it sucks...]
Master's Apprentices - Choice Cuts; Nickelodeon; A Toast To Panama Red [Australia]
May Blitz - s/t; The 2nd of May [UK]
MC5 of course...
Message - From Books and Dreams [Germany; debut A Dawn Anew Is Coming is also great, but this is the heavier one]
Moby Dick - s/t [Italy]
Modulo 1000 - Nao Fale Come Paredes [Brazil; not typical heavy rock, rather weird alien heavy psych fuzzed to the max]
Moses - Changes [Denmark]
Mott the Hoople - Live [man, there's sure some heavy riffage here]
Mountain - Climbing; Nantucket Sleighride; and by default Leslie West's Mountain, which is really the first Mountain album
Nazareth - s/t; Razamanaz; Loud'n'Proud [UK]
Necromandus - Necrothology [UK]
Necronomicon - Tips Zum Selbstmord [Germany]
Nektar - Sounds Like This [UK; a little patchy, but there is some great heavy stuff on here, their best album in the heavy riffage and space-rockin' stakes, although Journey to the Centre of the Eye is great too, just different]
Night Sun - Mournin' [Germany; review to come, this is just crazy]
November - En Ny Tid Ar Har...; 2:a November; 6:e November [Sweden]
N.S.U. - Turn On Or Turn Me Down [UK]
Nu - Cuentos de Ayer y de Hoy [Spain; no doubt they have other albums equally as great but this is the only one I've heard - like Sabbath meets High Tide!]
Orange Peel - s/t [Germany; more of a hard psych-prog thing really, bit of a Deep Purple influence]
Orion's Beethoven - Superangel; Tercer Milenio [Argentina; review to come for both albums]
Osage Tribe - Arrowhead [Italy]
Osanna - Palepoli [Italy; very much a prog album, but there is some ferocious heavy rockin' out here, not a typical prog album by any stretch...]

I'll pick up again later from 'P'. Hope this is worthwhile to some of you!
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: Off the top of me head
Mar 04, 2006, 03:00
Love that stuff at the top of your post, especially Silberbart - man, do those guys have a special place in my damaged brain!
Haven't heard of Crime, whenabouts are they from?
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index