Unsung Forum »
Bristol, brief review

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pootle
6 posts

Bristol, brief review
Feb 21, 2006, 09:56
Cope on brilliant form last night. After a couple of D.O. numbers he introduced "Read it in Books" and slammed into a heavy Motorhead-style axe wigout version. I was stunned. I wondered if the whole set was going to be similar...

But it wasn't at all. We had a great mix of new Rawk Jüülian and old-fashioned meadowgrass Julian. The set had songs from throughout his career and I especially liked the Mellotron-driven "O King of Chaos".

The band are fantastic, and it was hard to believe there were only three on stage. It was touching when someone handed Julian a birthday present for Mr. E and he led the crowd singing "Happy Birthday".

The gig was too short, Julian could only be onstage for 2 hours because of the Academy's curfew, so he stayed on for the full two hours rather than do any encores. He seemed genuinely disappointed that he couldn't play on. It seems ridiculous that the new laws allow us to drink until the early hours, but music still has to stop at 11! Or is the curfew Academy-imposed?

Hello to Mrs Ahab.

--
Pootle
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index