Unsung Forum »
Bristol, brief review

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pootle
6 posts

Bristol, brief review
Feb 21, 2006, 09:56
Cope on brilliant form last night. After a couple of D.O. numbers he introduced "Read it in Books" and slammed into a heavy Motorhead-style axe wigout version. I was stunned. I wondered if the whole set was going to be similar...

But it wasn't at all. We had a great mix of new Rawk Jüülian and old-fashioned meadowgrass Julian. The set had songs from throughout his career and I especially liked the Mellotron-driven "O King of Chaos".

The band are fantastic, and it was hard to believe there were only three on stage. It was touching when someone handed Julian a birthday present for Mr. E and he led the crowd singing "Happy Birthday".

The gig was too short, Julian could only be onstage for 2 hours because of the Academy's curfew, so he stayed on for the full two hours rather than do any encores. He seemed genuinely disappointed that he couldn't play on. It seems ridiculous that the new laws allow us to drink until the early hours, but music still has to stop at 11! Or is the curfew Academy-imposed?

Hello to Mrs Ahab.

--
Pootle
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Re: Bristol, brief review
Feb 21, 2006, 10:11
Good morning and welcome Pootle. ;) xx
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 10:25
That person with the cake, was our very own amazon. What a sweetie!

I'll be writing a blog about the gig later...
J
x
scousemaiden
160 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 10:42
Sorry thought it was a let down. Brain Donor were good, and i don't like brain donor. Copey on the other hand was less than average. He failed to pull off any of his own stuff as it was all done donoresque. He seemed to lack the ability to win over the crowd which he normally does with great skill and ease; at some points there were a few embarrasing silences when he started to speak and lost his thread and lost it all together.
It was a very average gig. I had a great night out until the music started.
Scousemaiden xxx
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 10:47
That person with the cake, was our very own amazon. What a sweetie!

I'll be writing a blog about the gig later...
J
x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 10:49
Soz, I don't know how that posted twice!
J
x
Pootle
6 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 11:00
I hadn't seen Copey since the infamous Glastonbury acoustic gig in 2003 so I had no idea whether the live set was going to be too much Rawk Jüülian, but I didn't find it so. "Double Vegetation" and "O King of Chaos" in particular had the tender voice of old.

And from where I was standing he had the crowd laughing and responding, a man in command of the stage. Two Cope-virgins who came up from London to see him with me were impressed by the whole gig, and they only knew "World Shut Your Mouth"!

--
Pootle
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 11:05
Well I absoluelty LOVED it!
It was my first Cope gig, so I have nothing to compare it with, but it certainly pressed all my buttons and I had a fabulous time. Such a very great shame that it was such a short set, another couple of hours would have done me nicely. Its not just the music that was great, the whole show was entertaining, although I suspect that what I saw last night was but a mere tip of the iceburg. All three do give their intstruments a right good seeing to, it must be said, love it! And I loved Julian's outfit.

It was brilliant to meet up with some fine HHers, albeit very briefly. I wanted to hang around after for a chat, but was at the mercy of He Who Shall Drive and Be Back Ready for A Day In The Office so we went straight away. There were some of you I didn't manage to say goodbye to properly, sorry. And if I didn't manage to say hello to anybody, sorry about that too (was a teensy bit spannered)

Did any of you catch the support? Cor, I was having a major lust session at the guitarist's wrists ;-P until I realised I was old enough to be his mother. Possibly. Jolly good guitar playing.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 11:11
Hi Pootle! Glad you enjoyed it - so did I!

Have to admit I'd feel a bit cheated if I hadn't seen the full set elsewhere, but I thought it was excellent too! (I made it almost exactly an hour & a half - amazon asked me the time just as the intro started....)

Pix wil be posted shortly unless someone makes me do some work!

love

Moth
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Feb 21, 2006, 11:18
Hi Pootle, I really enjoyed last night too, although feel a bit cheaed by the curfew. I think this is just academy imposed, i've never had this anywhere else that I can remember, well not in the 21st century anyway!

Anyway, I had a great night, thanks to everyone for the great company, as usual, and hope to meet up with everyone soon :^ )

Pics to follow as soon as I do a bit of editing to get backs of heads out of the way :^ )
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index