Top three gigs

153 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: Top three gigs
Mar 16, 2017, 17:57
Wow,
I was looking at this thread thinking how long it is since I've seen some of the names in thread (Bear, St.Thomas, etc) and how I really should get in touch with cHArrlie/Yali. But then I'm not in many threads these days either.
"Top 3" gigs is a tough one - I think a lot of it comes down to more than the performance - it's stuff like how old you were, who you were with, what you were on, and maybe the wider significance of the gig in it's historical or cultural context (and that sometimes does not kick in until years later).
So today, I'm going to say that Julian Cope at Glasto in 1987 was very important to me and my mates.
I reckon Nick Cave at The Electric Ballroom in Camden, 1984, was really important to a 17 year old who had missed seeing The Birthday Party - I think this was Cave's first live outing since the split. He had had a track out as Nick and The Cavemen on an NME compilation tape (covering "I put a spell on you") but I think they used "Bad Seeds" as their namer on the night.
I remember being blown away by The Triffids at the LSE circa 1985.
Seeing Arthur Lee (with Shack standing in as Love) at the Town and Country 2 in 1991/2 (?) was really special too.
And, I know this is more than 3, but Nirvana at Bristol Bierkeller in 1990 was great at the time, but even better now as loads of young people I work with (by which I mean anyone under 40!) are really jealous! =;0)
My choices will be totally different tomorrow I'm sure!
Nice to be back anyway.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index