Mar 14, 2017, 22:33
JULIAN COPE - Manchester Academy, October 1992, Head-On Tour
MARTIN STEPHENSON - The Blue Lamp, Hull, May 1993
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Re: Top three gigs
Mar 15, 2017, 08:08
Brian Wilson Royal Festival Hall 2002 would also make my top 3. There was such an extraordinary collective emotion throughout the whole audience (and I understand it was the same every night for the RFH gigs, which prompted BW and his band to return there many times in the 2000s). Not only was it great to finally see Brian in concert, but the band, the singing, with the classic BW arrangements were all stunning. Have seen Brian many times since, but nothing can match that first set of UK London concerts in Jan 2002.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 16, 2017, 17:57
Wow,
I was looking at this thread thinking how long it is since I've seen some of the names in thread (Bear, St.Thomas, etc) and how I really should get in touch with cHArrlie/Yali. But then I'm not in many threads these days either.
"Top 3" gigs is a tough one - I think a lot of it comes down to more than the performance - it's stuff like how old you were, who you were with, what you were on, and maybe the wider significance of the gig in it's historical or cultural context (and that sometimes does not kick in until years later).
So today, I'm going to say that Julian Cope at Glasto in 1987 was very important to me and my mates.
I reckon Nick Cave at The Electric Ballroom in Camden, 1984, was really important to a 17 year old who had missed seeing The Birthday Party - I think this was Cave's first live outing since the split. He had had a track out as Nick and The Cavemen on an NME compilation tape (covering "I put a spell on you") but I think they used "Bad Seeds" as their namer on the night.
I remember being blown away by The Triffids at the LSE circa 1985.
Seeing Arthur Lee (with Shack standing in as Love) at the Town and Country 2 in 1991/2 (?) was really special too.
And, I know this is more than 3, but Nirvana at Bristol Bierkeller in 1990 was great at the time, but even better now as loads of young people I work with (by which I mean anyone under 40!) are really jealous! =;0)
My choices will be totally different tomorrow I'm sure!
Nice to be back anyway.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Mar 16, 2017, 18:49
Cardiacs, Leeds Duchess of York 1995. With a quiz and water pistols.

Disco Inferno, Leeds Uni Harvey Milk Bar 1994. The equipment all broke down.

PJ Harvey, Leeds T&CC 1995, supported by Tricky. Best sound of any gig I've been too.

Lots of honourable mentions for Wedding Present and Durutti Column gigs too.
carol27
747 posts

Edited Mar 16, 2017, 20:09
Mar 16, 2017, 20:08
The Ramones..Manchester Apollo '77 or '78
Van Morrison...Manchester Apollo late 70's/ early 80's
Neil Young & Crazy Horse....Sheffield, what year Spencer?

There's more, but not allowed:)
Prince, every time. Can't resist.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 17, 2017, 08:21
Right now my three are

Sly and Robbie Dec 1986 The Channel Boston Mass. USA
The Fall March 1984 Ayr Pavilion, Ayrshire, Scotland
Edwyn Collins, Nectarine No 9, Jock Scot (Feb 1995?) Queen's Hall Edinburgh

(this may change later)
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Mar 17, 2017, 09:47
RIP Jock Scot.

I was at his funeral last year - what a send off. It's not often you see two grown up daughters of the deceased leading the dancing in a church to Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World"!!!

A one-off sendoff to a one-off man. A genius, a great raconteur, and a lovely bloke as well.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Mar 20, 2017, 12:12
1) CAN ..Hammersmith Palais, around the time of Landed...yup, I have the Damo experience, but this gets the nod. My favourite band till The Necks, in the faded red and gold opulence of that place, as per Absolute Beginners..me hanging over the balcony, massed ranks of Hell's Angels frugging in front of the stage, Michael ice cool all in white..

2)Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Hammersmith Odeon 1976 ..the clip of him doing Like A Hurricane that used to be shown on OGWT is still up on YouTube, I think. I was sitting on the same row as the cameraman, six feet to his left. You don't forget that.

3)Bruce Springsteen - Wembley 1981 ..The return: River tour. Was with a devastating woman who was supposed to be with someone from Julian's band. But. Lost a contact lens, floated home regardless, didn't give a fuck..

..been around a long while, still getting those memories and highs. I am a lucky cunt.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Mar 22, 2017, 22:20
Mar 22, 2017, 22:20
elegant chaos wrote:
RIP Jock Scot. I was at his funeral last year - what a send off. It's not often you see two grown up daughters of the deceased leading the dancing in a church to Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World"!!! A one-off sendoff to a one-off man. A genius, a great raconteur, and a lovely bloke as well.

I got a copy of "My Personal Culloden" out of curiosity when there was a wee flood of releases on the re-vitalised Postcard label in the 90's. Then a few pennies dropped about having seeing Jock on a magazine TV Show a few years before that. Then I caught him in Embra at the Festival Fringe a few years later. There are quite a few clips on YT. I wish I'd seen more of him. He seemed quite a man.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Mar 23, 2017, 11:29
My wife filmed this - I believe it was the last thing he ever did live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWqgWfcZMg
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index