1039 posts

Re: Great track, rubbish band
Aug 01, 2005, 23:03
United - Throbbing Gristle
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 23:09
I have bad memories of hearing their attempt at copying that successful single. Namly the incredibly grating and twee "Sun Street". Ugh! "Naa na na na, na na na na, we're all livin' on, Sun Street!" Had to play that horrible tune on the college radio I DJed at. And luckily it wasn't a hit! Kept having visions of Katrina naked in a Hustler crotch-spread pose with the Michelin Tire Man and the Tidy Bowl Man in the background...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 23:19
You must have been on some bloody good acid to conceive of such a thing! Yeah, I remember "Sun Street", and "Shine A Light" (their winning entry for the 1997 Eurovision Song Contest), which was later used by the Samaritans as their theme song for an ad campaign. If I heard that song and I was severely depressed, I think it would make me more inclined to top myself, quite frankly.
keith a
9570 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 00:54
Lovers of Today!
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 05:32
what about 'Hot On The Heels Of Love'? A electronic classic if ever there was one.
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Re: Great track, rubbish (recently) band
Aug 02, 2005, 08:49
Granted, Stereophonics these days are poo, but I still love their first two albums. "Local Boy in the Photograph" is a miles better singalong crowdpleaser than "Bartender" though. They lost it after they got big & went to America (a depressingly familiar story.....) around the time of "Just Enough Education to Perform".....)
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 09:18
Put it this way - I listened to an Only Ones compilation recently - first time in yonks - and I felt a lot of it didn't stand teh test of time IMHO.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 10:14
>>a miles better singalong crowdpleaser

And, your point? We're not talking about lighters in the air, we're talking about decent tunes.
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 10:47
*braces self for rant against musical snobbery*
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 12:50
It's also a decent tune. OK?