May Druidon

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: May Druidon
May 03, 2005, 13:50
What a pile of poo. I expected more from the man. I'm dumb struck.

Julian's comment: "and only having voted once in my adult life anyway." is particularly shocking. (Not least because you can't vote in your childhood). For a man with so many political opinions and a big gob, not to express them through the ballot box is surprising.

<climbs on soapbox>
Everyone should vote. Even if you only go to the polling station to spoil your paper. Spoilt papers are still counted. And it sends a message: I want to vote but there is nothing here for me that I can put my 'X' against.

Voter apathy is a major crisis in this country and it appals me. In January, we saw moving scenes on the TV on Iraqi voters risking their lives going to the polls to exercise a democratic right which we take for granted. I admired their courage and was refreshed by their determination to make a difference -even in an election which may have been flawed from the start.

As for women who don't vote... Gah! After the painful struggles of the the early 20th century that our grandmothers went through to enable us to exercise our opinions, I am ashamed of my sisters who can't be arsed to make a simple journey to the polling station and make their mark.

Yes, we have the right not to vote, but if you don't, you have no right to complain about the way the country is run.

OK, now chuck yer rotten tomatoes....
Enfranchised and proud
J
x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index