The Opposite of Reissues

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cosmo
cosmo
44 posts

Re: The Opposite of Reissues
May 01, 2005, 00:12
Is there not an argument that no art is bad. Ever. Even Stars on 45 or Daniel O'Donnel or ANYTHING. Surely nobody intentionally set out to make something that is shit. Or even if they do, is there not some artistic merit in that as well?

I'm not into banning anything between consenting adults. I think I have the best music collection in the world, but try telling that to my mates.

I have hated things that later I came to love. I hated, HATED Kolly Kibber's Birthday the first time I heard it, I fucking love it now. I hated Abba when I was a punk, I fucking love some of their stuff now.

Gangsta rap says fuck all to me being a pale Northern indie kid. I don't get it. I don't want to censor it, though.
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

May 01, 2005, 09:06
Blimey, that's a toughy... probably about 95% of everything that's been relaesed ever. But I'd settle for U2's entire back catalogue to be incinerated and the band members hanged, drawn and quartered with the decapitated heads stuck on poles outside the city walls.

Oh, yeah same goes for Colin Phillips... bloody-Paul-fucking -McCartney...and Eric Clapton... and String.... er.... and post "Low" David Bowie.... and Queen/Brian May ... and, of course, (Th)Rush who are entirely guilty of crimes against humanity. And Bonio again just to be sure.

Oh you've got me started, there goes the day!!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 01, 2005, 12:56
I kinda had a bad feeling about gangsta rap also btu I did see an excellent documentary about Tupac Shakur a couple of years ago...
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 01, 2005, 12:57
Damn typo.
keith a
9572 posts

May 01, 2005, 16:22
> Either way, it isnt helping him spread to an audience
> that doesnt know him

On the plus side you get to see him play tiny venues like the Sugarmill in Stoke and watch from just a few feet away.
LMan
LMan
763 posts

May 01, 2005, 19:07
Wasn't Robert Hampson used to be known as "Josh" when he was a member of Loop?. I think I read something like this ages ago
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

May 01, 2005, 19:21
This is a bit negative, don't you think? This topic, I mean.

I know some of the disposible, manufactured (so-called) pop that's been pooing out of record companies since Stock, Aitkin & Waterman invented it, is not nice to have to listen to, but hey, it's music, still. Only music. I've no problem with any creator, genre...anything really. Even Westlife could one day stumble on a good song and by the laws of random chance make a decent recording of that song. AND I'D BUY IT. No prejudice.

Nah, everyone to their own, I say. Dagnammit even David Sylvian.
cosmo
cosmo
44 posts

May 02, 2005, 00:43
that's what I was trying to say. but you said it better.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

May 02, 2005, 21:27
negative? oh, I don't know. just a conversation stimulator.

I think it's interesting how almost everyone has taken up two positions, each at opposite ends of the spectrum, i.e., arguing that all records have a valid right to exist, while others have suggested the wholesale immolation of anything recorded by Bono.

I just wish there was a council of respected judges who could, by a majority, vote to discontinue production of albums that have obviously proven to be of dubious artistic merit. Whether as a result of extremely ill-advised political content, or by virtue of the fact that artists are a bit stupid or not very good at it.

As steven tyler said, dream on, right kids?
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

May 02, 2005, 21:27
negative? oh, I don't know. just a conversation stimulator.

I think it's interesting how almost everyone has taken up two positions, each at opposite ends of the spectrum, i.e., arguing that all records have a valid right to exist, while others have suggested the wholesale immolation of anything recorded by Bono.

I just wish there was a council of respected judges who could, by a majority, vote to discontinue production of albums that have obviously proven to be of dubious artistic merit. Whether as a result of extremely ill-advised political content, or by virtue of the fact that artists are a bit stupid or not very good at it.

As steven tyler said, dream on, right kids?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index