cain'd is great

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Re: cain'd is great
Jan 14, 2005, 23:15
Okay Champion, here's what it sounds like to me.

It is fucking great. It really is. Could well prove with time to be considered as one of his best. Solid and consistant. If you don't like his recent stuff though, I'd have to say it's 50/50 whether this would do it for you.

He's still in mental rock mode. Not to the extent where it he'll put a half hour guitar solo on at the end and call it a track, buts its definitely fuzzy ang garagey and RAWK

\m/ \m/

Like, if you played something like Dying To Meet You and maybe I Can Hardly Stand It to some random teenager they would probably think it was the Hives or similar. Somewhere on this site it mentions that it is in an all-black plastic case because it looks like black obsidian from the Med, but I think we all know that it is really a Spinal Tap thing. It's not metal, though. On many songs they just get on a groove and stay on it without falling and it is, as I said, fucking great.

Lyrically the black fits well for there is lots of Death in these songs, and lots of European Gods of course. Not a huge amount of humour. Songs like Stomping D and Saddam and Living Dead are clearly songs that only Cope could write, though, and are the sort of thing you'd never get with Brain Donor.

I Will Be Absorbed is most uncharacteristic and reminds me of the Icicle Works or Andy McNab going for a power ballad. But with much better lyrics.

It's also the first Cope album (I think) to give the lyrics, possibly because of the half-arsed attempt to record some of the vocals. (The production does not bother me , I should point out, because I've never been a great one for craftsmanship). But the lyrics in the booklet are a disappointment , though, because they take the place of all the usual little essays, comments, and what not that I always love on Cope CDs.

It does have an old photo of some old Bedoin-type dude trying to hump a rock.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index