Unsung Forum »
Your 10 favorite Post-Punk Groups ever

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Your 10 favorite Post-Punk Groups ever
Dec 30, 2004, 21:22
I'm going to define post-punk as the years 1979-82 because otherwise the list would have to be far longer than 10. In which case :

1. The Fall
2. Wire
3. Pere Ubu
4. Swell Maps
5. The Only Ones
6. Mission Of Burma
7. The Teardrop Explodes
8. The Raincoats
9.The Gang Of Four
10. Young Marble Giants

Bubbling under would be The Pop Group, Throbbing Gristle & The Slits. I also left out Television Personalities, because although they were doing good stuff at that point they didn't reach their creative zenith (IMO) until later on in the 80s.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

flipperkillingjokewirethrobbinggristlega
Dec 30, 2004, 22:14
flipperkillingjokewirethrobbinggristlegangoffourPiLblurtpereubublackflagmeatpuppetsflipperkillingjokewirethrobbinggristlegangoffourPiLblurtpereubublackflagmeatpuppetsflipperkillingjokewirethrobbinggristlegangoffourPiLblurtpereubublackflagmeatpuppetsflipperkillingjokewirethrobbinggristlegangoffourPiLblurtpereubublackflagmeatpuppets
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Your 10 favorite Post-Punk Groups ev
Dec 30, 2004, 23:52
Hmmm...lessee...in no order whatsoever...

Wire: started as punk, but evolved like hell into something of a 'template' for 'post' things...post-punk, even post-rock if you count some of their 'in between years' solo efforts.

Joy Division: similar to the above, but in this case evolved into a 'template' for techno in the post-Ian Curtis guise of New Order.

Gang of Four: the grand warp of punk and funk that begat...well, a lot of things. Influenced way too many things that came in their wake to even begin here.

Flying Lizards: David Cunningham's experiment in humor + dub + experimental music + pop. Known for that version of "Money", but there's a lot of other stuff that's rather neglected that's more than worthy, musically.

XTC: again, started during punk, but turned into something else...in this case, one of the finest revitalizers for pop to come out of that fin-de-punk period.

Japan: we'll ignore that first album, for some good reasons, and instead focus on what came after as a much better infuser of 'style' into matters than, say, Duran Duran or the bulk of the more-hyped "New Romantics".

Sigue Sigue Sputnik: post-punk or the last punk blast? The multi-million prank of "Flaunt It!" on EMI in of itself makes them worthy enough, IMHO, but even musically they managed to mash together things that even precursed such latter-day styles as 'soundclash', early techno, et al.

PiL: definitely post-punk, by Johnny's own definition itself. Another thing like GoF that wound up being a mass influencer in addition to creating some wonderful, disturbing, experimental work up thru "Flowers of Romance" and carving up many ideas of what rock is after that.

Material: Bill Laswell redefined hard funk with this, and again, another 'mass influencer' that continues to have repercussions down to the present day. Also important as a 'launching pad' project for many, many things since its inception.

Sonic Youth: the other NYC luminaries of this sort, I think...a nasty recom-virus of NYC punk + Lower East Side New Music experimentalism + hangover traces of American psychedelia. Late into the mix, perhaps, but very much in the vein and very much worth making it into the list.

And just to be contrary, an eleventh:

The Pop Group: not a huge body of work here, but one that still repercusses music to this day. Perhaps the original 'soundclash' group, smashing together avant-jazz, avant-garde, funk, punk, industrial, dub, and god only knows what else in rapid-fire (dis)assembly, and sounding like virtually nothing else in the process.
keith a
9570 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 01:21
I obviously don't rate SS Sputnik as highly as you, but I really like the fact that other folk here like them and don't just take the 'they had no talent, they just ripped off the label' view. Haven't played the album in a long time, but Love Missile was a great single!!
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 01:50
actually, i was a bit ganja'd, but the 'elyzium' LP rocked one time- then again, so did early genesis. i can talk about it now...
Lugia
970 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 03:25
Truly, truly...if I were to rate it by the 'parental piss-off' quotient, "Love Missile F1-11" is WAY up there on the charts, right alongside greats like "You Doo Right", etc. Repetitive, noisy, loud, and featuring Yana YaYa making the effects rack short out, thereby creating the mess-o-delic mix's critical wreckage factor. That general racket factor, plus the fact that they even admit they're the 'ultimate product' and they also refer to themselves as "affordable firepower"...how can you NOT love 'em? :) Sure, not everyone'll rank 'em up there, but I think the real potential of that SSS sound is still in the process of being realized...so, maybe in a decade more...
vince
vince
1628 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 04:20
1. Pil - Oh Mr.Lydon, please rediscover your muse. We all know it's in there somewhere.

2. Joy Division - Listened to Unknown Pleasures lately? Listen loud, take a break, have a fag & a swift voddie then go back & listen to Interpol. Hahahahahahah!!!! they are bloody funny. And bloody crap.

3.The Slits - Sexiest band on the planet ever? & I don't mean because they got their tits out.....no male band could ever sound like this.

4. Siouxsie & Banshees - Forget the voodoogoth stuff. They were, imo, over already after Join Hands. First 2 albums minus the Lords Prayer bollcks. That guitar sound was just so out there at the time

5.Magazine - Punk or post-punk? Early Roxy with attitude. What a combination. Devoto, McGeoch & Barry Adamson.

6.And Also The Trees - You may scoff but i bet there aint one of ya out there who's heard anything by this lot in the last 15 years? Thought not. We should all know not to be put off by stereotypical cliches. AATT are not morbid goths. They are a very English kind of dark music. Closer in spirit to Copey than to Goth. They always wrote about the land, rural stuff. Their last album Further From The Truth is simply the bollocks. I recommend 'avin' a listen....

7. Gang Of 4 - The best live band I have ever seen bar none. B'ham odeon, with Pere Ubu & Delta 5. Stunning.

8. The Birthday Party - Nobody makes rock'n'roll like this anymore.

9.Comsat Angels - again, first 2 albums only. Both sound conspicuously current....

10. John Cooper Clarke - Who said that post-punk was humourless? Sorry mate, couldn't hear ya...yer mouth's full of shit....

THE WORST?

1.U2(Started crap, ended up crap but with humour)
2.New Order (cos they basically turned out to be crap)
3.Bunnymen. Thought that would upset a few. hehe. They would have been in the top ten if they hadn't fuckin spoiled it with those reformed line-up albums & that bloody football record.
4.Simple Minds. Haahahahahah.
5.The Mekons - for only having recorded one good song in nearly 30 years
6. Anything by Kirk Brandon. Bloody Charlatan
7.The Alarm. See Kirk Brandon

Lost interest now....don't want to waste my time thinking about crap bands. Life's too short.

LEST WE FORGET

Whatever happened to The Scars. 'Horrorshow' must be one of THE great lost singles of our age
Phrenobulax
60 posts

Re: No particular order: mmmn
Dec 31, 2004, 05:51
Thats hard...Late '70s was fraught with excess
Wire + Pere Ubu 'cause some of their songs you could still try and stick your head in the ceiling too..
Wasted Youth +Buzzcocks great live when your hair was standing on end (and not because you'd been at the Brylcreem)...
The Slits+The Androids of Mu+Dolly Mixture 'cause me and my friend Paddy loved them
Vic Godard/Subway Sect ..Love Vic
The Ruts... god bless them,broke three ribs at one of their gigs
Durutti Column...glorious! I too had a soft spot for The Pop Group and Throbbing Gristle or as me mate called them The Wasted Throbbers..Enough memory lane....
And I still play The 'Tones feckin' loud
Phrenobulax
60 posts

Somebody rattled my cage!
Dec 31, 2004, 06:09
Its funny 'The Slits' sound different on record...'79ish saw them play at the Ritzy in Brixton...met Julz and her mate and had Special Brew + 'erb,,,her mate was Ari Upp (didn't make much of an impression till I saw her leaping around on stage later)A loose mad,hypnotic sound...The last time I saw Julz after that she hit me on the head with a pool cue at 'Heaven' under the arches..who said 'Anticipation is so much better'..Still miss you.......
keith a
9570 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 12:20
Dunno if you ever saw them live, but i did at the State, Liverpool at their peak, and they really were great. Three memories stand out apart from the actual band...

A lad in the queue outside with the most bizarre hairdo imaginable - he'd obviously tried something different as he was seeing SSS as his mates later joined him and took the piss mercilessly.

The roadies were all gig glamorous amazon women.

The reaction they inspired. A love to hate type thing. There was a guy by us, who seemed a quiet normal bloke. The Sputniks came on and he went crazy, shouting abuse, throwing his plastic 'glasses' at the band, a look of sheer hatred on his face. The gig ended and he snapped out of it, said something about the gig (think he said it was great!), said goodnight and went on his way like a totally different bloke. Weird!!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index