Unsung Punk

185 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aswyth
78 posts

Corrections!
Jun 04, 2005, 18:58
Just making a few corrections to previous posts:

1) Neneh Cherry was heavily involved with the Slits near the end of their career. She featured in their final Peel session, plus live shows (which also included Don Cherry) and some of the posthumous live CD releases from the band. For the record, Ari Up was also involved with Rip, Rig & Panic early on and is on their first album.

2) The Blue Orchids have THREE distinct albums. The first, "The Greatest Hit (Money Mountain)" (which inspired the title of a Teardrop Explodes collection) is now on CD through LTM (aka Les Temps Modernes), a British label. It features the two pre-LP singles ("Work" and "The Flood") plus the "Agents Of Change" EP that came after the album, plus a track by Nico with Blue Orchids involvement. The second Blue Orchids album is "The Sleeper," originally recorded in 1993 but not released until about a decade later. It features the "Secret City" four-song EP, plus the "Diamond Age" and "Sleepy Town/Thirst" 12"s as bonuses. It's pretty accessible and more "rock" than other releases, but fans of Julian Cope's more pop-oriented stuff would probably dig it. It too is on LTM. The third album is "Mystic Bud" and it's a great, eerie album much more like the hazy stuff on "Greatest Hit" or "The Agents Of Change." Probably the least commercial Blue Orchids album - seems soaked in heroin vibes to me, but I love it. Also on LTM. All three of these records are pretty easy to find.

3) Chiswick and Skrewdriver. Chiswick have explicitly stated that they will *never* include Skrewdriver tracks on compilations, make them available for licence or reissue the records themselves, due to the later involvement of Stuart in racist politics and also their inability to control the "fate" of royalties Stuart's estate would garner. They've never tried to ignore the issue, just to do the right thing and for that, god bless 'em. It should be mentioned that Stuart died from being decapitated in an auto accident . . . his head apparently rolled right down the avenue.
As Zounds would say, "Can't cheat karma!"

There's loads of rare stuff I'm looking for, if anyone's interested in a trade, check out what I've listed so far (3500+ records) at:

http://ttc.gnarf.org/listuserext.pl?username=peregrinate

Thanks!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index