Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Zappa/Eminem
Nov 06, 2004, 18:03
"I reckon if Zappa was a Rappa he'd be Marshall E Mathers for sure"

I recall that 2-hour documentary on Zappa which was shown on UK TV in the mid-nineties.
At one point he was describing his life in the early 1960s and he was talking about his 'image' at that time,
where he used to sport an 'imperial' (a small growth of facial hair below the bottom lip) and he would wear a hooded sports-top like what 'today's rappers would wear'.

The Original Slim Shady ??

;-)
Great White North
39 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 19:38
Well, they are both have a great sense of humour, and know how to poke fun of people who are full of hot air. I don't listen to m&m but how much of his lyrics are about silly white persons sexual behaviour and cultural anthropology. Musically nothing is the same, but lyrically maybe. Though Frank never acted in 200 motels.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 21:01
Interesting idea. One difference however is that Frank's appeal was always limited to a smallish smartypants cult, while Marshall is one of the biggest superstars on earth.

Surely Zappa could never have written the equivalent of a "Without Me" -- a song about how he's the center of the pop universe and all else seems lame in comparison (and it actually sounds plausible.)
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 22:29
Whoo-hoo, I'm in a smartypants cult! When do I get my membership card and decoder ring? :p
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 22:42
And a lifetime supply of Smarties... (Yeah I know what they are. They're available in the US and I used to get them in my X-mas stocking...)
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 07:28
yes, my opinion is humble(d). but also honest.
I apologize for my rudeness...I realize these are artists who have the respect of some folks here & I could have phrased that more diplomatically.
Nevertheless, the two artists in question share a tendency to express smugness, an inflated sense of their own importance & a palpable condescension towards the listener which would be bad enough, but when coupled with grandstanding noodling in Z's case or
formulaic ear-boxing in E's I wonder how anyone but a masochist with a tin ear could enjoy their "art"
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 12:03
Interesting comparison. Funnily enough I read an interview with Randy Newman recently and he said that lyrically, he felt quite a lot of affinity with Eminem as they both had a tendancy to write from the point of view of thoroughly reprehensible, bigoted characters in the first person without making any explicit moral comment on them.

I actually enjoyed "8 Mile" far more than I thought I would and find some of Eminem's lyrics interesting, but his music (IMHO, of course) sucks. Give me El-P any day.
zuggog
286 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 13:22
I sortof wonder if eminem would feel any affinity with Randy Newmans lyrics. Eminem and Zappa do share a common trait in humorous cynicism aimed at certain sections of society, I like to think this is not for commercial reasons, just the way these guys are/were.
Don't know too much about eminem, but Zappa was pisstaking right from the word go. "Brown Shoes don't make it" springs to mind. His then cohort Beefheart was another example in a distorted menacing blues way.
Hopefully Eminem will do Band Aid remake instead of McFartney, Dildo, Bonob etc.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 08, 2004, 17:09
I'm just sayin Zappa made his jokes & criticisms from the fringe, while Eminem reports right from the eye of the pop-hurricane.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 08, 2004, 17:10
I'm still impressed by how provatative "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" really is . . . politicians having sex with 13 year old girls? "I'd like to make her do a nasty on the Whitehouse lawn"? That's some kinky shit!
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index