Unsung Forum »
mercury prize

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Re: joplin voice
Sep 08, 2004, 19:03
I consider some of the songs from her poodle-rock phase guilty pleasures - maybe 'cause I was in my early teens at the time. But when she bastardized "The Shoop Shoop Song," she lost me for life.
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Re: mercury prize
Sep 08, 2004, 19:09
Well put. It's like they don't realize, when listeners can hear them making an effort, there's no soul there. Some people got it, some don't, and unfortunately the ones that do don't get on the radio these days.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 20:08
Didn't Frank Sinatra do a version. I vaguely remember the original -- of course the title is pretty stupid. Wasn't the original some kind of Latin samba type thing w/ cheesy/cheap electric piano?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 20:11
Sounds like they try too hard to be soulful -- maybe thats why they get into indulgent extended cringe-fests...
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 20:19
Something like that; basically a cute, likable 60s girl-group song with a good lead vocal. And then the remake just overdid it in every department; it was grotesque.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: f***ing travesty of justice
Sep 08, 2004, 21:38
he's a brummie man! point taken about the prize though. it's what it stands for that gets my hackles up. i think the best man should win. the streets is the best british album released this year, apart from adem's
homesongs and that wasn't even nominated. don't think street cred's that important otherwise it would have gone to m.c shitty shortpants and his hackney homeboys. dizzee rascal's just released a really shit album in a bid to get his streetcred back.
zuggog
286 posts

Aaaaand the winner is...
Sep 08, 2004, 23:29
F.F.
But the whole list was shite for little kids anyway.
It wouldn't have surprised me if some twat like McCartney won it.
keith a
9565 posts

Re: f***ing travesty of justice
Sep 09, 2004, 00:24
Blimey, Billy. Go and have a sit down, and take it easy, lad! ; )
keith a
9565 posts

Sep 09, 2004, 00:28
Never mind Simon Cowell. She's writing songs with Paul Weller. How desperate is that?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Sep 09, 2004, 09:52
I don't know if you like me, but I have been influenced by Cher. I heard the Shoop Shoop song once too often and and was influenced to throw the radio across the room.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index