Unsung Forum »
Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!

96 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 02, 2004, 14:11
For me, despite the obvious derivations of my username, it's a mixture - like most genres. The first division contains a number of extremely fine bands - Can, Faust, early Amon Duul II, Popol Vuh, Guru Guru and especially the whole Dusseldorf axis (Neu!, Harmonia, La Dusseldorf and of course Kraftwerk). However, one or two of the other acts Julian recommends I would take issue with (especially the Cosmic Jokers, whose name I feel is appropriate as they seem like the noodly jokers in the pack to me - not that they were a real band as such anyway).

However, my exploration of the second and third tiers of Krautrock came to an abrupt halt after a friend of mine who works in a second hand shop compiled me a CD of German bands NOT covered in "Krautrocksampler". Useless, derivative & dated kak, all of it. Worse even than English prog rock (which I know has many fans around here, but I am not one of them).

Also, I feel that almost all of the Krautrock bands - even the good ones - had past their creative peaks by 1976, if not earlier. So, as with just about any other genre of music, I'd say there's some great stuff there, but some discrimination is necessary.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index