Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Almendra.
Sep 03, 2004, 19:56
I haven't heard it, but the review over at Gnosis doesn't make it sound terribly interesting. What struck you about it?
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Araca Azul.
Sep 03, 2004, 19:59
Thanks for the note about "Araca Azul". I was just reading reviews over at Amazon and AMG, and it sounds pretty promising.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it! Incarock: huh?
Sep 03, 2004, 20:03
What do you recommend from Duprat that might have been a possible influence on Faust? (I saw that AMG mentions he did the arrangments for "Araca Azul", which Lord Lucan recommended.)
Lugia
970 posts

Sep 03, 2004, 23:37
Hoo, lessee...the best 'culprits', I think, would be those first 2-3 Os Mutantes albums. There's a LOT there that reminds me of Faust, although the Mutants do tend to make things squeeze more handily into song-like forms. Duprat's production is majorly in evidence there, along with a lot of specialized electronic tinkering done specifically for Os Mutantes that gave them things like the 'aw-aw pedal', etc.

Duprat's also around on some of those 1967-68-ish Caetano Veloso releases, which also used Os Mutantes as his backing band for some pretty wild stuff. They were definitely in on the massive fiasco/riot that was the live TV piece "Prohibido Prohibe" (sp.?), which appears on a particularly good Veloso comp on Polygram that encapsulates his pre-Tropicalia thru London exile period stuff.
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Krautrock:Inga
Sep 04, 2004, 02:45
Frumpy are great. Hairy Chapter also.
I was listening to Dull Knife and this definitely falls into this same category of germanrock stuff.
The others you mentioned I'm hoping to get some time soon.
zuggog
286 posts

Re: "Germanrock"
Sep 04, 2004, 11:08
http://mitglied.lycos.de/prucknermartin/bands.html

The name of this site makes sense., even though there are some acknowledged krautrock bands in there. I think most of the half decent germanrock bands only made one or two albums. And some of the crap ones that went on to make many albums, and went on into the eighties to make truly atrocious commercial stuff possibly had maybe one worthwhile effort worth a listen.
Someone on this site? was saying the Scorpions 1st was ok. But getting a scorpions cd for experimental purposes scares me
.. I've got most of Savoy Browns stuff[don't laugh]
and "looking in" is the pick of the bunch.
timewind
148 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 04, 2004, 19:10
Klaus Schulze,Tangerine Dream,Popol Vuh,Dom,Gila,Cosmic Jokers,Ash RaTempel, Dom,Amon Dull 2,Neu,Michael Rother, Gaa,Lilenthial.Embryo,Dzyan,Faust,Guru Guru,Annexus Quam, Xhol

all worth seeking out

Tx
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 05, 2004, 21:53
Funny you should mention Cob on a Krautrock thread as I bought Neu/Neu 2 from the Bangor one some 20yrs ago on one of my only visits there. I was a regular at the Porthmadog one though - bought allsorts of great 2nd hand 7" singles from there!!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 00:20
From Brazil:
Gal Costa's 1969 lp is as out and acid -rock as anything from Deutschland
As is Gilberto Gil's 1969 lp
Both are Duprat deals
Os Mutantes "divina comedia" is my favorite & perhaps most "rock" lp of theirs - but to hear some way crazy Brazilian Rock:
Modulo 1000's "Nao Fale Com Paredes" lp is a monster of heavy-but-free-form acid prog-psych that reminds of Faust in many ways...
From Argentina, the first Billy Bond lp has a track that sounds just like some lost Early Can track -Jaki & Holger groove w/ clean delayed guitar, echoey vocals...a groove
From Argentina :
I love both Almendra lps, the first is less raw rock but it's strongly written & produced material with one long wah guitar jam track also
-but further out still are Spinetta's next group, Pescado Rabioso's lps, then there is Jorge Pinchevsky's lp which came out on Harvest, he plays electric violin but it's no fusion fest, it's tripped out freak rock w/ tape manipulation & rock guitars
Alejandro Medina's lp is great
Color Humano's lps are all great (in a Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" groove)
La Cofradia de la Flor Solar's lp is amazing acid-blues rock but was hurt by the cd release's mix which is missing great lead guitar on at least one song
& Kubero Diaz' s solo lp blows away any Amon Duul I've heard except maybe 'The Archangel's Thunderbird'
That's enough now, I'm tired of typing, but there's PLENTY more music from South America that is worth checking out for anyone adventurous & open minded enough to appreciate Faust/Neu!/Cluster/Harmonia/Can etc.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 00:26
yes.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index