9547 posts

Re: STILL more cack!
Aug 11, 2004, 21:51
Sounds like a Reagan propaganda speech!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 21:53
Of course pretty much most of those New Romantic bands were Bowie ripoffs, not just in the music but fasion sense also...
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 21:57
Ever heard Safety Dance by Men Without Hats?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 22:04
Yeah, that song was pretty neat, as was "Pop Goes The World".
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 22:13
I think Talk Talk's "It's My Life" is an awesome song; and the horrible cover by No Doubt just proves how good the original is.

As for Foreigner, I think a lot of those late 70s/early 80s arena rock bands sounded a lot better by imitating the "new wave" - better, actually, than some of the bands they were imitating.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 22:26
Yeah, alot of those bands like Foreigner and Styx were always trying to be more "New Wave" just to try to be more fasionable and stuff. Thomas Dolby did all the keyboards and electronics on Foreigner's Four album (the reason why one of their songs I liked was "Urgent", just 'cos of the nifty synth, although "Cold As Ice" had some neat Moog also...) Also heard Gramm and Mick Jones hired Dolby 'cos of his work w/ Lene Lovich.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Just Like Hemmingway
Aug 11, 2004, 22:31
I wanted to include that song although I forgot the band that did it, and it wasn't a big hit, just that it got played on college radio alot... I never had the record unfortunately. It just sounded like a couple of geeky kids trying to be Depeche Mode w/ cheap Casios, except the lyrics were grim compared to the happy-go-lucky melody. "And if I want to die just like Hemmingway, I'll put a pistol in my mouth to throw my head away."
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 22:56
Aw f***, "Safety Dance". I have more than a bit of an emotional connection with that record. Picture the scene - you're twelve years old, you're in a village pub drinking dandelion and burdock and eating a Ploughman's Lunch whilst your parents are getting pissed. Someone you don't recognise comes up to you and says " I'm managing a band and we're looking for extras to be in their video. Doesn't pay but you will get £36 worth of free tokens for this pub, should you ever choose to eat here again". And that's £36 in 1983 money.

And that's how a just-pre-puberty Popel Vooje got to be on "Top Of The Pops". Dancing around a maypole in an utterly ridiculous Medieval costume. Saw it on a "Top 100 Songs of the 80s" programme last time I was in the US (about 3 years ago), and I know I should be embarassed, but for some reason I feel a strange glow of pride.

Thanx for the memories. And it's really not a bad song in the cold light of day - at least it has a genuine tune.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 23:04
Cool! Where should we look to spot you?

I have a friend who is "famous" for dancing like a demented loon in one of Beck's early videos (think it was "Loser" actually.)
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

can i just say...
Aug 11, 2004, 23:05
clive pig and the hopeful chinamen... happy birthday sweet 16?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index