"learn three chords?.....who needs chords?" TG

"Punk's not dead"...the Exploited.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: 2006 Cringe Brittania!!
Aug 11, 2004, 11:19
>>"learn three chords?.....who needs chords?" TG<<

Indeed! Surely one of the best quotes ever made during those times, but I don't think I'd like to see a statue of 'Breyer the Bra-Buster' in any city centre !!

:-D
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: zigzag
Aug 11, 2004, 11:44
one of my favourite spins is zigzag - soft rock classics from the mighty rpm records. it's faantastic, a truly unsung era in pop. here's the poop...

Inspired by the legendary music magazine of the same name, our next volume in the Lipsmackin' 70's series unearths the long, lost singer songwriter gems, the one off minor hits and radio play list favourites, that all deserved much more . These are singles from the early 70's that didn't really fit into any genre being in turns a bit folky, a touch proggy, a tad rocky, a little glammy, some poppy, country'ish - so an all encompassing name soft rock was coined to cover it.

The artists are predominantly English, all the recordings were made in England , and that too flavours the compilation . All unique sounds in a time of one off production deals and experimentation with new artists.

Some were the first vehicles before stardom (Leo Sayer in Patches , Neil MacArthur was Colin Blunstone, Chris Neil became a hit producer in the 80's, Jimmy Edwards from Guest & Edwards later with Sham 69 and Time Uk), others came from writer producers (Shine is Tony Rivers, Stormy Petrel is John Carter, then Mike Hurst and Mike d'Abo ), also the unclassifiable individuals (Laurie Styvers, John Howard, Clifford T Ward, Howard Werth , Ewan Stephens , Curtiss Maldoon (who later had a song covered by Madonna -Sepheryn into Ray of Light trivia fans !) and those who'd had a taste of the business in the 60's and were forging a new direction (Steve Ellis in Ellis , Lesley Duncan previously a well known backing singer, Tim Rose, Ray Fenwick from the Spencer Davis Group, the Sarstedts featuring brother Peter of Where Do You Got To My Lovely fame) .

http://www.rpmrecords.co.uk/
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 11:50
>>the Sarstedts featuring brother Peter of Where Do You Got To My Lovely fame) .<<

'Where Do You Go To....' Now that's a great song!!

...as is 'Wherewithal' by Clfford T. Ward
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 13:47
Wherewithal is wonderful - by the way - John Howard is making a live comeback! - There's an advert for a gig he's playing in Uncut

"Goodbye Suzie - this town will soon forget you"
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 14:29
there are two reissues by john howard via RPM, both terrific. goodbye suzie indeed. suburban pleasures of the highest order
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: STILL more cack!
Aug 11, 2004, 15:40
Dollar - Videotheque

Reflex - The Politics Of Dancing

FR David - Words

It Bites - Calling All The Heroes
(sorry, Fitter, but different strokes fer different folks 'n' all that)

Kajagoogoo - Ooh To be Aah
(everyone remembers "Too Shy" but this is even worse IMO)

Y,know, I feel a potential 4-CD box set coming on...
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 15:49
There's already several - seen the amount of 80's compilations on sale - and it's all the cak stuff
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 15:51
you can buy them in petrol stations for £3.99
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 15:54
Politics of Dancing - NOOOOOOO!! I hate that song, now it's gonna go through my head all day. Urgh!

I don't know that Dollar song, but I do know Mirror, Mirror. Dare I say I kind of like it? At least it takes my mind off the bloody Politics of Dancing.

"Mirror, Mirror, Mon Amour..."
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index