Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04
Aug 08, 2004, 23:04
Even though our common mentor despises them, I LOVE Caravan, me. This week a brand new CD issue of 1982's excellent 'Back To Front' album dropped onto my grateful doormat, and what a fine, unsung album it is. It sees the reformation of the classic original line up of Pye Hastings, Richard Coughlan and BOTH Sinclair cousins (Richard and David) after ten years apart, and what a positive influence the now Hatfields and Camel-experienced Richard brings to the band at this juncture. His 'Back To Herne Bay Front' and 'AA Man' are joyous, humourous and gloriously melodic additions to the Caravan songbook, and his lead vocals on cousin Dave's beautiful 'Videos Of Hollywood' are meltingly lovely. Pye Hastings' contributions are well up to his usual Brian Wilson standards, especially 'All Aboard' and 'Bet You Wanna Take it All'. This album sold jack shit first time around and will probably do even worse on shiny. A criminal injustice. Put it right and buy this delightful, awesomely English album at your earliest opportunity;

Yes 'Tormato', which is largely kack, but can be forgiven for the terminally faultless 'On The Silent Wings Of Freedom', by far Yes's most jaw-droppingly excellent track;

Van Morrison 'Saint Dominic's Preview' - all the critics fawn (justifiably) over 'Astral Weeks', but this ain't far behind. The title track is my fave ever Van ditty;

Van Morrison 'What's Wrong With This Picture?' - well Ivan , basically that it's your most effort-free and shite album, full if lyrical crassness and predictable, heard-em-a-million-times-before chord sequences. "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" informs the Man on one of the least 'swinging' dirge like tunes he's ever rendered. Ugh;

Tangerine Dream 'Phaedra' - after 'Faust Tapes', the album that introduced me to the joys of Krautrock. And I'd still put it into the Top 10 of that particular non-genre, even if it did commit the heinous crime of becoming a chart album;

Also, outside the spheres of rock and roll, a lush, muck-cheap Dexter Gordon box set called 'Setting The Pace' that delights my be-bopping toe muscles to the full. A box of Guido Cantelli's radio broadcasts on Music & Arts has also tickled my fancy in parts.

Music. Twice as addictive as heroin and still cheap and legal. I fucking love it.

Love, peace and fuck

Dave x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index