Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
NewObject23
32 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04
Aug 08, 2004, 22:07
Broken Hearted Dragonflies: Insect Electronica from Southeast Asia (Sublime Frequencies) - amazing unaltered, unprocessed recording of dragonflies and cicadas in the SE asian lowlands...sounds like alvin lucier, ryoji ikeda, whitehouse, etc...absolutely stunning high-frequency, textural swoop and insectoid dithers

Thighpaulsandra - Rape Scene and Double Vulgar 2 (Ochre and ?) - Thighpaulsandra's NEW album-length EP of three long in-studio improvisations on ochre records and his as-yet-unreleased sequel to last year's Double Vulgar CD, which WSD/Thresholdhouse have been sitting on forever...it's more excellent overamped glambient-kraut-synth-groove from Thighps but don't look for it, i've gotten a copy from TPS but you're not allowed to hear it!

Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral - of course...

Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo - follow up to "Rejoicing in the Hands," yet another superlative collection of fingerpicking and bizarre, precious lyrics in the trademark warble

Nurse With Wound - Angry Eelectric Finger - Three new full-length interpolations of NWW to be released soon on Beta-Lactam Ring Records (new home of England's Hidden Reverse artists), featuring collabs with Jim O'Rourke, Xhol Caravan (ancient hairy kraut-jazz-rockers), irr.app.(ext.) (Matt Waldron's soundscape project) and Cyclobe (ex-Coil kosmische group)...i've got a promo copy, and i can tell you that it's pretty amazing.

Bobby Brown - The Enlightening Beam of Axonda - early-70's California beach bum builds a console of self-made instruments and records this completely whacked and utterly unique concept album relating his inner spiritual journey. I think it's just been reissued, but I've tracked down the vinyl. Love it.

Don Bradshaw-Leather - Distance Between Us - whacked low-fi drone/noise insanity, double album from mid-70's period of drug-induced lunacy

Sunn O))) - White 2 - obviously...

Coil - Black Antlers and Selvaggina Go Back Into the Woods - demo versions of brand new album and live recording of same songs, respectively...both extraordinarily scarce CD-Rs and both quite wonderful.

Dr. Strangely Strange - Kip of the Serenes - so maybe I like the Incredible String Band a little too much, that even these copyists seem pretty nifty to me

and a few more old ones:

Roy Harper - Sophisticated Beggar
Pearls Before Swine - One Nation Underground
John Martyn - Solid Air
Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot/The Spotlight, Kid
Joe Meek - I Hear a New World
Burzum - Filosofem
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

blah blah blah

Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index