ELP Review!

107 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

(H) ELP RANT
Jul 09, 2004, 21:34
Popel Vooje,

Sorry if I wasn't clearer, but all I'm saying is "you can't judge a book by it's cover".

Doesn't matter if the record in question is by ELP, Beyonce, The Wombles or Sadistic Mika Band. If you haven't heard it, all you've got is an opinion on the sleeve and what the contents MIGHT sound like. True, one might be correct in assuming "Love Beach" blows (and believe me, I KNOW, aiieee) but until it's given a listen, it's only an assumption.

It's like giving somebody on the streets directions to a destination whose location is unknown to you. It might be interesting as "art" or a prank, but it does not serve the reader/person asking directions at all (and if it does, it's a fluke)

But you are right when you said taste has nothing to do with it. It doesn't at all. But reviewing "Love Beach" -- or any album by any band -- without listening to it is irresponsible and ignorant

Example: say somebody was entirely unfamiliar with the works of Throbbing Gristle. Then proceeded to write a review of "Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits" without listening to it at all and just wound up labelling the music a 'Martin Denny, easy listening rip-off '(which, of course, in reality couldn't be further from the point.)

Would that not be irresponsible and ignorant?

Then again, Meltzer's book title probably says it all -- "A Whore Like All The Rest"
(Speak for yerself, Richie)

Hahahahahahaahahaha
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index