Songs to blub to

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Donovan Atlantis
Jun 01, 2004, 16:28
you coulda played the bside to that track 'I Love my Shirt' and p-ed yerself instead .

As fer SAd Songs I think Sorrow Knows by the GUn Club is pretty great as are Love Will Tear Us Apart and Atmosphere by Joy Division
Kalte Sterne and Sehnsucht by Neubauten are pretty beautifully morbid too.
there's at least 1 track from Sandy DEnny's North Star Grassman and tHe rAven'[s that seemed ultra melancholy as is her 'Autopsy' from the Fairport's Unhalfbricking.
Shirley Collin's Power of the TRue Love kNot struck me as so worldweary/sad that I got it taken back off after getting somebody to play it in a local pub. (must get a new copy of that )
Stevo
Np AR Kane Sugarwings
Metalpub
130 posts

Re: Songs to blub to
Jun 01, 2004, 16:32
The way I'm feeling at the moment, Dave Bowie's Laughing Gnome would probably make me blub. However, if I really wanted to push myself over the edge, I reckon playing any of these in consecutive order would probably bring on something akin to a water mains leak:
John Cale: If you were still around
Joy Division: Decades
Nick Drake: River Man
Beach Boys: Til I Die
The Smiths: It's Over
The Band: Whispering Pines
Charlie Feathers: Defrost your heart
Scott Walker: If you go away
Beck: anything off Sea Change...

bloody hell, I'm starting to fill up just typing this.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 02, 2004, 23:21
I was late to put anything on this thread regarding songs to err... 'blub' to. I suppose my list would include Big Star's Third, Lou Reed's Berlin and Marc And The Mambas' Untitled.

Of course I'm pretty emotional to the point that even something as banal as "Sounds Of Silence" or "Whiter Shade Of Pale" can affect me deeply...

Of course, to cheer up I usually play Neu '75 and Pauline Murray And The Invisible Girls.
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Jun 03, 2004, 14:35
I have to mention OLD SHEP by Elvis...I dont know why...I jjust have to....maybe he's channeling me..(Old Shep, Not ELvis)
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Jun 03, 2004, 18:32
...Cash's version of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is lovely too, he brought back to life a lot of songs whose real depths i'd foolishly overlooked.
His 'Mercy Seat' is better than Cave's, as is his cover of D.M.'s 'Personal Jesus', he makes it more than just a pop song.
BJx
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Jun 03, 2004, 18:37
...Scott's 'It's Raining Today' is the one for me, either that or 'Two Ragged Soldiers'
BJx
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 04, 2004, 00:02
That Sandy Denny song, its not Next Time Around is it? I've only got a best of and a live album, so don't know what album its from. Don't judge me too harshly! Anyway, that song makes me very ponderous and the like.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

BWAWWWHAWWWRGHY!
Jun 04, 2004, 13:54
Yes I know it's not really a song but I just literally dried my eyes after hearing Vangelis's 'Bitter Moon' intro, from the Polanski film of the same name. There is a certain chord that does it I suppose. And for me it's *that* one. Eyes like comedy water pistols. Bah.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

laugha-longa-Nick Drake
Jun 04, 2004, 14:00
I sobbed openly at 'River Man'. First time I ever heard it I was adrift on a salty river of my own making.

*hruhk*...*sniFF*
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 04, 2004, 18:41
I think it might well be.
There is at least one other one as melancholy on there. I wonder if there are expanded/remastered reissues of those 3 early 70s lps due?
Fotheringay's pretty tasty too.
Stevo
Np Ray Charles Definitive I'm MOvin On
(I had this by the Stones on No Stone UNturned and hadn't realised it was by him. Pretty fine this is)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index