http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/voiceprint.php/Catalogue/Labels/Resurgence

http://perso.clubinternet.fr/calyx/mus/campbell_mont.html

Mont Campbell - UNSUNG TALENT! ;-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Rush
Mar 29, 2004, 03:03
I was on a kick for heavy Canadian rock albums released on Mercury in 1974 this week . . . . ;-)
Quexalcote
228 posts

Re: Rush
Mar 29, 2004, 06:53
I coincidentally pulled that first Rush lp out at work a couple weeks ago and found its charms so captivating that one had to come home with me. They were the big deal "mature" band among my pals in junior high and I could never get into 'em, but now, they're fitting right in w/ Granicus, Bang,et cetera.....................................
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 28/3/04
Mar 29, 2004, 11:16
Kraftwerk – Tour de France.
Really, really like this, especially Vitamin and Aerodynamic. Great stuff, lovely tones and sounds.

XTC (again!) – Skylarking, Black Sea, Go 2
Skylarking is proving an interesting one. Some listens I like it more than others – must be a mood thing. Black Sea and Go 2 I’ve been enjoying a great deal too.

The Band – The Band
Just got hold of the remastered CD of this so I’m starting to get to know it. Very nice.

Van Halen – Van Halen
Hahahahaha! Still don’t REALLY get it, but I’m having some fun listening to it now, although I don’t think it’s intended as purely a comedy record! Had it on me MP3 player whilst doing the supermarket shop on Saturday, and it did make me laugh, so maybe I’m getting the hang of it a bit now. And Moon Cat - I did the legs apart, air guitar thang to Nat yesterday – but I didn’t have the spandex trews...I think she thought I had cracked up!

Gong – Live 2 Infinitea
Didn’t listen to this much initially, coz I was disappointed it was so like the live DVD, but I’m really enjoying this now. Some great performances on this.

Kate Bush – Red Shoes
Lily on this is just enchanting – a magical spell that weaves you into it’s charm. I’ve been re-visiting this LP lots lately.

Squid
x
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Rush
Mar 29, 2004, 13:42
Yeah, it was downhill since that objectivist wanker joined Rush...
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Mar 29, 2004, 14:03
Yeah !, it's not bad that New Deutsch CD. It's a collection of stuff collated by DJ Hell and some other faceless disc spinner. Bumf on the inside said it was a collection of tracks from 1985 - 1992 or there-abouts...I'm guessing the D.A.F. sounding ones are the 80's bunch, and the other stuff is later...don't know of any of the bands except D.A.F., so might have to mooch around the web for more info'.

Funnily enough, we've been decorating too, must be that spring 'spruch it up' vibe in the air. Mind you, i do hate decorating with a passion, would rather do just about anything than hang wallpaper or paint the bloody walls. Ran out of excuses though, and the other half pinned me down : (
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Mar 29, 2004, 14:27
Howdy all, this weeks top tunes have been...

New Deutsch Compilation.
Various artists from 85-92 collected by richard hell.
Imagine D.A.F. in various remixed/electro guises and your not far wrong.

The Fall - Perverted By Language, Grotesque, Seminal Live, Nations Saving.
Popped into the library to convert my old scritchy vinyl albums onto shiny, non scratched CDr versions. Think my fav' of the bunch is still 'Seminal Live' if only for 'H.O.W.', 'Mollusc In Tyrol' & 'Squid Law'. Also the Live version of 'Cruisers Creek' plos along at a nice pace, and you get a pissed Bill Grundy introducing the band and promising to tell you how he made the fortunes of punk rock.
Perverted and Grotesque are ace too. Not heard them in years cos' of said vinyl. think these are from my fav' Fall period. 'Nations...' didn't sound so good sadly, i used to loved this record, but just doesn't do it for me now :(

80's indie comp (cheers Gnomen)
More bizzare and unheard of (to me that is) 80's gems...was a nice cross over from the DIY Scene Cd Gnomen did me a few weeks back mastered from his vinyl collection (cheers mate, your a star for going to the trouble :)

Liars - They Threw us In a Trench... + Singles + They Were Wrong... + Athiests Reconsider
Yay!, Liars fest..played everything i have by them back to back. several times over..they really are ace...probably one of my fav' bands of recent years ,though it's probably for purely nostalgic reasons, as they do sound remarkably like some of my fav' bands from over the years. Hoping to see em' in May, Braindonor said they were ace..so I'm a hoping they turn out to be as fab'!

P.I.L. - Live In Tokyo
Thought I'd try this out again, was hoping it wasn't as bad as i recall it, but it was ...pants.

Jarcrew - Breakdance Euphoria Kids
S'OK this, only bought it for Paris & The New Math single...but turns out this is an earlier version of the album, they apparently re-recorded the whole thing when they changed record labels..anyhow, it'as OK and suitably mad in places..lots of ideas banded about..they apparently love Fugazi, and there's definately a few fugazi like moments, the rest is New Wavey/ Proggy and daft...could be a grower!

Also putting a comp together for Gnomen, as i said i'd do him Ambition by the J&MC, so have been digging through the various vinyl comp's of the time to fill out the disc...so far we have Carlton B Morgan - Shave The Ayatolla, Mekons - Fight The Cuts, Newtown Neurotics - Mindless Violence, Three Johns - Teenage Nightingales to Wax, Sisters Of Mercy - Adrenochrome, David J - I Can't Shake this Shadow Of fear, Bahaus's iffy version of Spirit in The Sky, A Certain Ratio - Waterline, Hula - Invisible, Husker Du - Data Control (Live), Au Pairs - Headache for Michelle (Live), Pere Ubu - Non Alignement Pact (Live)...and there'll be a few others too. Post it off to you mid week mate.

Anyhow, I've forgotten what elese I've listened to so y'all have a good week.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Here's my slice....have a bite!
Mar 29, 2004, 14:56
1) HWYL NOFIO - "Hymnal"
Another great recording from Welshman Steve Parry. Frippery, Frithery and an ambience which trancends more than just music itself!
http://www.hwylnofio.com

2) VARIOUS - "23 Drifts To Guestling"
I used to have the original cassette of this, but have been able to get a CDr of it recently.
For the Throbbing Gristle/PTV buffs only, this was originally put out by Dave Farmer's Nanavesh fanzine and is a collection of conversations, snippetts of spoken word pieces and general archive material etc.

3) EGG - "The Civil Surface"
After Fitter Stoke's mention of this on his list and Lugia's review of an earlier album, I dug this out and relived some aural treats- mmmmm......I can feel my trousers getting wider near my ankles!

4) VAN DER GRAAF - "Vital"
I must finish the review I've done for this gem.
A very raw, warts 'n' all live document from London's Marquee club circa early 1978. Dave Jackson joined them onstage, but was plagued by sound problems- but still a great album, eventhough I'm a 'Pawn Hearts' man.

5) VARIOUS - "Painted Black"
11 versions of the classic song 'Paint It Black' by the Rolling Stones- given complete makeovers by the likes of Acid Mothers Temple, Fennesz, Circle, The Tape Beatles and more......classy!
Released on the Californian 'Tumult' label and stocked at Aquarius Records, where you can hear snippets.....
http://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi
don quixote
232 posts

Re: Here's my slice....have a bite!
Mar 29, 2004, 15:17
Re: Painted Black album

I've got this! I cannot recommend it to our fellow HHers enough.

Totally skewed 'versions' indeed....

Everyone is a gem, although I'm partial to the Tape Beatles creepy ambience... GOOD CALL!
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Mar 29, 2004, 15:45
"What's the smell?" I asked coming into the house one night last week.
"I found some paint in the garage to use as undercoat. I've started for you."
"Oh..."
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index