Re: is it...
Mar 28, 2004, 20:43
>>at the moment!

LOL. You missed out "called jeff"
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 28/3/04
Mar 28, 2004, 20:47
23 Skidoo - 7 Songs: Dam, this is fine, previously had only heard 1 track which was off a Wire cover disk a coule of years back (Kundalini). Great mix of edgy tunes, none of which out stay their welcome.

Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse: Only had a couple of listens so far but i think it's cool. Am not familiar with their other recent stuff, but i understand this is a little more "back to form".. nice!

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation: Not played this in an age (or so it seems) and it left me a little cold last time, though this week it really grabbed me.

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats: Great early dark electronicness which im still getting into. "Persuasion" is chilling... as is the picture on the back cover!

Current 93 - Soft Black Stars: Oooh, very pretty stuff this... listened to it with headphones by candle light late one night recently, really enjoyed it.

Incredible String Band - Chelsea Sessions 1967: My girlfriend bought this for me about... 3 years ago now i think. Real good sounding demos from around "5000 Spirits" time.

Incredible String Band - Hangman's Beautiful Daughter: Used to have virtually all these tracks hanging around somewhere on mp3, so already familiar with most of this album, is bloody good though.

Psychic TV - Force The Hands Of Chance: Flipping heck, am totally shocked by how varied and consistant this one is... top stuff indeed.

Sun Dial - Other Way Out: Pretty derivitive, but good none the less with some nice guitar workouts. Nothing ovrly special, but i will give it some more time yet.

Well, that be about all, cheers dudes!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Killing Joke & Keybords
Mar 28, 2004, 20:53
My mate's just bought an Oberheim OB-8 that apparently used to belong to Killing Joke

http://www.synrise.de/history/ob-8.jpg
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Killing Joke & Keybords
Mar 28, 2004, 21:10
Did they use it on Outside The Gate? If so be careful with it! ;^)
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Mar 28, 2004, 21:13
Nice one Beebon - your taste in music rules :)
'7 Songs' is a huge fave of mine - also worth getting are 'Urban Gamelan' & 'The Culling Is Coming' - oh and the best of, 'The Gospel Comes To New Guinea'.

Also, i agree with you about 'Force The Hand Of Chance' - such a good album, and highly under rated.

Also - yet again - played '20 Jazz Funk Greats' for the first time in ages this week and had forgoten how good it is. Way ahead of its time!
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Mar 28, 2004, 22:42
Moved into our house 5 years ago. A 19th century 'cottage'. Painted the dining room a deep red to match the floor tiles. Quite dark, really. Been painting an undercoat over this today as my wife thinks it'd be nice to redecorate in greens (fern + lichen from Wickes) and make the room appear bigger. My daughter made the observation that, as we are having to put so many coats on to cover the satin red paint and paper we'll be making the room a couple of inches narrower so the lighter colour will only make it appear as big as it was before we started! Dry humour...

Anyway...

Been listening to Carlos' Los Hermanos while we've been painting. Brasilian pop. Really good, happy, sun-shiny music. I like it a lot. My wife complains that she doesn't know what they're singing but my daughter (her again!) observes "But can you dance to it? Yes!"
Got a dvd to watch later too!

Also, 'New Deutch' - This is German electronica (from Monganaut). Sounds very 80s influenced; don't know if it's contemporary or not? I like it lots. Been played in the car all weekend.

Standard stuff besides:-
Stellastarr*, PiL, The Fall, and JaMC.
Beachwood Sparks, Roots of Reggae II, Massive Attack vs Mad Professor.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 28, 2004, 22:57
Not listened to much this week.

A few regulars, like Throwing Muses best (IMO) album, The RealRamona, and Leonard Cohens "Songs from a room" but not much worth note.

I did listen to a band called the Tansads though. A bit like the levellers/chumbawamba politically, but they did bugger-all for me musically.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jeff Healey
Mar 28, 2004, 23:02
I play guitar the same way, coz I taught myself, and found it easier than stretching my hand round the back of the neck.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Mar 28, 2004, 23:10
Got an album by Jeff Healey called Hell To Pay if u are interested Joudiccacacacacacacacacaca!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Mar 29, 2004, 00:16
This week's vibes:

Caravan 'Where But For Caravan Would I?' - I bought this for my good lady Margaret last year in an effort to bring her round to the glories of the Canterbury Scene. I'm glad to say that the plan worked. Today we enjoyed this magnificent Verve/Decca/Deram era retrospective like never before. Prog with pop sensitivity - tunes and solos - what could be more alluring? Simply the best ever band that those who only dig so-called "cool" bands have missed out on;

Bob Dylan 'More Greatest Hits' - continuing the cool compilation trend, here's a belter from '71 and really delivers. I proudly own all the official Dylan albums but I'd quite happily settle with this, the first 'Greatest Hits' and 'Blood On the Tracks' if the government imposed an album limit on me;

Kevin Coyne 'Marjory Razorblade' - totally without parallel is this debut solo from Derby's finest: what happens when you mix Dylan, jugband blues, Al Jolson and the wildest imagination this side of Zappa. Amazing stuff, and still fresh after 31 years;

The White Stripes 'Elephant' - still can't see what the fuss is about here;

Ride 'Nowhere' - awesome and tedious by turns is this terminally patchy debut, but with an epic like 'Dreams Burn Down' what else do you need? I swear that's John Bonham drumming on there;

Deep Purple 'Deep Purple' - I've had an Unsung review for this forgotten third album on the back burner for a while now. Suffice to say this is a remarkably diverse collection capturing the band just before they went real heavy. And while it may lack the visceral excitement of 'In Rock', it has undeniable charms, not least the tribal perfection that is 'Chasing Shadows';

Egg 'The Civil Surface' - a forgotten Canterbury gem. Whatever became of Mont Campbell?;

Rush 'Rush' - hey Dog, thanks for the prompter. I'd forgotten how good this album is in its wish-we-were-Zeppelin sorta way. Rocks like fuck;

Ten Years After 'Positive Vibrations' - beltin' final album from '74 before they split for the first time;

Ten Years After 'About Time' - good comeback album from '89, though I reckon Alvin should've rationed himself on those ZZ albums in the meantime;

Miles Davis 'Porgy & Bess' - prime Gil-era stuff sounding fresh as a daisy in its latest remastering. Gershwin without the crap;

Schubert 'Winterreise' - Fischer-Dieskau rocks!

That's about it. Enjoy the start of Spring, dudes.

x
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index