Unsung Forum »
Best Gig(s) you've been to......

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Best Gig(s) you've been to......
Mar 24, 2004, 19:56
Off the top of me head the most fun and/or amazin'mazinness was at...

EST - Buxton Opera House earlier this year. Like watching telepathic musicians. Incredible

KISS - 96/97 reunion tour with all the make up and explosions and original dudes n' stuff at the MEN arena. Seen 'em in the 80's but had been waiting since I was 11 for the full on Kiss experience and was not disappointed. FWALOOM! My non more indie pal had a blast too! Hurrah!

Underworld - Manchester Apollo on the A Hundred Days Off Tour. 4th time seen 'em and they just blew the place apart.

Hanoi Rocks - Camden Electric Ballroom about 85ish. Sleazy but electric rock n roll car crash evening! Smudged n sweaty.

Cope on the 20 Mothers tour - 3 hours of highs, highs and highers.
Also the Rome gigs last Oct/Nov. Awesome cos of the rockin' HH awesomeness of it all.

Acid Mothers Temple upstairs at the Star N Garter in Manchester a couple of years ago. A room the size of a shoebox barely contained the full on polychromatic noise explosion!

Courtney Pine and a band of Commonwealth allstars at the Bridgewater Hall during the Commonwealth games. Just total up-lifting joyfulness provided by an awesome array of musicans.

Nebula at the Hop N Grape about 3 years ago. Intense psyche/stoner rockin.

...and Rick Wakeman's King Arthur on Ice at Wembley when I was about 8. 'Cos even then I could see it was daft, but I loved it and also cos
A) Our side's Guinevere plowed into the side of the ice rink
B) During the final Arthur tune all these Knights on ice were supposed to 'kill' each other in a battle- except on this occasion there was a surplus knight leftover. So he skated round the bodies for a bit and then decided to'kill' himself on his sword to cheers and laffs from an appreciative crowd. You don't get all that at a Travis gig.

Loads of other happy, groovy times in various places!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Re: Oooh , forgot
Mar 24, 2004, 19:57
Yeah, HIA/ Oscillate was a great night out. Did you ever go when they moved over to a club by Musical Exchanges....saw Ultramarine there, and i rememeber one night they had all these sculptures and art 'd'art all over the gaff.
The HIA crew (well Chandrasonic) used to do the Dub Tub nite over the Royal George to, saw Pentatonic there, they were marvelous.

Yeah, i was mashed at 808 State too (who wasn't : )
One of the few 'club' acts that really cut it live. Seem to recall it was a mad night, though the mate i went with kept yaggin' on about the latest bloody Cabaret Voltaire record all night, got quite sick of it after a while and buggerd off into the 'throng'.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 24, 2004, 20:02
I know we've been here before but it was great so.;
Saw the JAMC when Honey's Dead was out (I think...about '9Oish?) on the infamous Rollercoaster tour.
Blur were bottom of the bill. Dinosaur Jr rocked.
and My Bloody Valentine were louder than Olympus crashing into Heaven at Warp 9.
'Twas when they were playing the infamous Chord From Hell during You Made Me Realise for anything up to about 20 mins at a time. In Manchester we got about 15 mins and it was IIINTENSE. Closest I've experienced is probably Swans before and Acid Mothers Temple since.
Ears still ringin!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

AMT @ S&G
Mar 24, 2004, 20:29
Moon Cat - was the AMT bash at Star & Garter when Birmingham duo Floach supported? They were good as well, but there was a band on called 'Southall Riot' and they were fucking terrible!

One of the those great performer to audience banters when the Bass player asked the audience (in self-parody stylee)-
"Do you like a KLAUTLOCK??!"

Great evening, if that was the same one!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Tortoise/Stereolab
Mar 24, 2004, 21:56
timewind

Re: Tortoise / Stereolab

Did you see them at Man. Uni upstairs in the union building ?

Sonic Boom played with 'Lab and at the end Tortoise came on and joined in for a big blowout- that was some bash alright

Impressive list there btw.....
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: AMT @ S&G
Mar 24, 2004, 23:33
Yeah, if you mean the kind of drill n bass n electronic noize duo were Floach - I never did get their name. They were cool!
Yes Southhall Riot were on as well - Seem to recall 'em being bit indie, bit rocky, mostly bollocks.

I bought the AMT Monster 10" double single thing immediatley from the merchandise stall after that gig. 'Twas excellent indeed. I was working at the Palace Theatre and Opera House box office at the time and really struggled the next day trying to describe the gig to my Dido loving manager. She just kinda went "Oh....well that sounds. ....well glad you enjoyed it anyway" hehe.
timewind
148 posts

Re: Tortoise/Stereolab
Mar 24, 2004, 23:44
indeed..that was the one...a superb concert all round

Tx
timewind
148 posts

Re: AMT @ S&G
Mar 24, 2004, 23:48
AMT did about 3 shows at the Star & Garter over the last 4 years... I would say the one with Circle was about the best. AMT also did The Band on The Wall...another great show !!

Tx

Steve
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Re: Oooh , forgot
Mar 24, 2004, 23:54
Yeah 808 rocked that night although MC Tunes was a big spazz.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Mar 25, 2004, 00:01
The Beta Band - June99 at Irish Centre Leeds and at Glastonbury 02
The Cure - Glastonbury 95
John Renbourn- St Austell arts centre 2002
Michael Chapman - St Austell Arts Centre 2003
Julian cope - bristol oct 95, london nov 03
Squarepusher - Glastonbury 02
Faithless - Glastonbury 02