Best Gig(s) you've been to......

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Tortoise/Stereolab
Mar 25, 2004, 23:05
guess what? I was there too!!

i didn't see much of Tortoise and had completely forgotten that they'd joined Stereolab at the end.

main memories...

the band taking ages between songs, tuning up and chatting amongst themselves and really looking they couldn't give a toss and then playing a blinding number.

playing a track where everyone played piercing high notes, discording (sic) against each other, and looking round and seeing a large number of people in the audience clutching their ears!

and, my one complaint, French Disko was too fast!!

it was a good gig alright!
Martin
401 posts

Re: test department...
Mar 26, 2004, 01:09
never saw Test Dept as such unfortunately- but did attend the first few Beltane Festivals up Calton Hill in Embra Toon which was staged by TD under the guise of Ministry of Works- all their drummers and pipers in attendance and general wastedness and paganism- a jolly good night oot!
Martin
401 posts

Mogwai
Mar 26, 2004, 01:19
..at the Mid East in Boston three years ago. Thay came on to Martin Luther Kings 'I have a dream' speech and the strains of 'Mogwai Fear Satan' drifted up to an ear blistering climax.
I have never been moved to tears at a gig before- they were phenomenal that night.
Second best gig- Mogwai again- at the Queens Hall in Edinburgh last May- they were tight as f@ck- jesus they were tight and blew me away once again.
I mean it's not like I've only been going to gigs for the past couple of years- third best is probably AC/DC at the Playhouse in Edinburgh- Back in Black tour when I was the tender age of 12- first ever gig and I was hooked
Pigeon
15 posts

Re: Best Gig(s) you've been to......
Mar 26, 2004, 11:00
newie here. Going to pick some really old ones and a few recent ones, starting back with Talking Heads live at Eric's in Liverpool (yes, Scouser and Eric's regular here!) Such an intimate venue to see a band I loved play all my favourites - we just got so spoiled by the quality of bands who played there (including Iggy Pop!). And the original Dexy's early tour (tho not at Eric's) was hair parting stuff.

Another gig that sticks out for me was The Cocteau Twins in Berlin - I went on my own and cried throughout - it was overwhelmingly gorgeously sublime!

And just to be uncool, I have to admit one of the best gigs I've ever seen was Michael Jackson's Bad tour at Wembley!

But of course there are too many other brilliant ones to pick a real best, and the last one I went to, Muse at Wembley, was worth waiting for.

Jaq/Pigeon
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Re: test department...
Mar 26, 2004, 11:27
yEA THEY ARE WAY oOot there at least back in the 80s they were!
O yea there was bag pipes and drummers as well when I saw them way back then when I was a better looking slip of a lad. A very strange gig that 1 tho!
Yali*
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Re: Mogwai
Mar 26, 2004, 11:29
seen da pixies do a great gig there too!
yali*
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Mar 26, 2004, 11:39
Actually...Mogwai were pretty dam fine when I saw um at GlastonbUry 1999 infact they blew me away ! They really sounded like the early cure when they did that faith carnidge-viser stuff back in the early 80s. Infact I do believe fat bob really rates Mogwai. <read it in smash hits or summat>
Yali*
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Best Gig(s) you've been to......
Mar 26, 2004, 14:00
Yeah I suspected they started using a drum machine around that time...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 26, 2004, 14:02
Mogwai didn't turn me on when I saw them at the Bug Jar. I did get into them later on though...
Mr Dreadful
15 posts

Re: Best Gig(s) BOREDOMS..
Mar 26, 2004, 15:08
the BOREDOMS at Brighton's Concorde 2..all of their "vision , creation , new sun" LP which just built and built for aover an hour...really LEVITATING stuff......at end people obviously cheered for more, but imagined the band to be completely shagged...Tho one american girl kept whooping for ages, until i had to tell her for eardrums sake to pack it in as they were obviously not coming back..it was a set piece, an experience, an act that demanded no 'greatest hits' encore...."D'ya know what bite me means?" she yelled..."well, in all honestly ,no" said i..."so bite me then"said she..." but what does it mean" said I..."bite me" she goes "bite what?" and etc etc ad.inf......................Then again there was Copey at the Lyric recently
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index