Unsung Forum »
Best Gig(s) you've been to......

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
don quixote
232 posts

Best Gig(s) you've been to......
Mar 24, 2004, 01:35
Okay- I know it may be a long thread, but let's have some fun, especially if funny or strange things happened at said events!

.......GO!
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Best Gig(s) you've been to......
Mar 24, 2004, 02:44
Karlheinz Stockhausen: "Hymnen" at the Stockhausen-Kurse, 2002. The digitally-remastered version, on a present-day 4-channel sound system under the control of Da Man himself. I was so moved that I went out and just walked around Kürten for a couple of hours, late at night, under those very dark country skies. Intense!
Lugia
970 posts

Mar 24, 2004, 02:45
Karlheinz Stockhausen: "Hymnen" at the Stockhausen-Kurse, 2002. The digitally-remastered version, on a present-day 4-channel sound system under the control of Da Man himself. I was so moved that I went out and just walked around Kürten for a couple of hours, late at night, under those very dark country skies. Intense!
Lugia
970 posts

Grrrrr...rural dialup...
Mar 24, 2004, 02:48
Sorry about the double-post folks...the connection here puked while posting.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Hawkwind!
Mar 24, 2004, 03:01
I think one of the best was my first ever - Hawkwind at Liverpool Stadium January 18th 1975- I was a tender 14yr old.

I remember that Lemmy had a faulty lead to his Bass, so a hapless roadie changed it for a more reliable one whilst the Lemm was in mid-thrash and he didn't even notice.

I also remember that as well as the high-pitched oscillations ducked and dived, my ribs were also vibrating in a furious manner to the DEEP Bass Synth squiggles, all while Nik Turner was in a frog outfit going apeshit while Stacia did things to my mind of which I've never recovered.....

Sonic Youth at the Boardwalk in manchester in 1986 was pretty intense as well as euphoric!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

In the form of a list
Mar 24, 2004, 04:05
1. Kraftwerk 1998: well, it was Kraftwerk!

2. Slayer 1990: you've never seen a crowd as crazy as the people who show up at Slayer gigs. Similar experience seeing them again about 10 years later, but they were better with Lombardo on drums.

3. Suicide 2001: fuckin' Alan Vega and Martin Rev! Totally assaultive and hypnotic, I can understand why their early gigs caused a lot of riots.

4. The Feelies 1991: not the most acclaimed era of the band, but they put on a crazy sweat-drenched show. A bass, 2 rhythm guitars, 2 drummers, and no more than 3 chords per song. Their songs tend to be fast anyway but they played everything twice as fast that night. Pogo til you puke!

5. Television 2001: during the climactic moment of "Marquee Moon" Richard Lloyd broke a guitar string, and he had no backup guitar -- so he had to restring it there on stage while the rest of the band vamped. Totally ruined their most popular song. I felt soooo embarassed for poor Mr. Lloyd that night!
direwolf
92 posts

Mar 24, 2004, 04:50
Some that I can actually kinda remember that were great shows were...
The Cramps - Date With Elvis Tour in Toronto! Just so much fun!

Iron Maiden - Powerslave Tour (also in Toronto) greatest band in the world at that time!

Grateful Dead - 1988 Summer Tour in Rochester,NY they opened up the 2nd set with Green Onions! Also a beautiful China Cat>Rider and a monster trip to the outer reaches and back with Drums>Space>Other One>Wharf Rat! My first Dead show, I was completely overwhelmed and out of my mind, er league.

and the mighty Reverend Horton Heat in Calgary 2002.
Nashville Pussy in a little club in my home town here last year was also a lot of fun and debauchery.
cammyb
62 posts

Mar 24, 2004, 05:36
Pete Wylie at King Tuts a couple of years ago. Quite simply a barnstorming performance from a passionate genius. I've been to hundreds of gigs in Glasgow over the last two decades and nothing has ever come close to this.
Libertine
27 posts

Mar 24, 2004, 09:26
Have to include the Drude at Manchester in 1995 on the 20 mothers tour I think it was.
Gene in a converted public toilet in Tunbridge Wells a few years back, and Super Furry Animals, almost anywhere
Nat Hate
Nat Hate
445 posts

Mar 24, 2004, 10:03
In no particular order:

Julian Cope, Cardiff Coal Exchange, who knows when! This was my first encounter with the Drude and how could I do anything except fall in love!? Taking the limits of a solo gig and smashing them up.

Jonathan Richman, Shepherds Bush Empire, 2003. Superb performance, venue and crowd. Beautiful.

Super Furry Animals, seen them about 12 times, best may have been the other week at Cardiff Barfly - hour and a half plus of requests in tiny venue, but like Libertine said, always good.

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, either London Scala, 2001 or Caerphilly Castle 2000(?). The first my band played with them so it's got a special place in my heart, the second was on the double set tour, in a castle banqueting hall! Perfect Gorky's venue! They were also amazing in the Coal Exchange in about 1995 with Catatonia and Stereophonics supporting them, the way it should be!

John Renbourn, Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach, 2002. Amiable and unbelievable talented. Better than Bert Jansch when I saw him!

Dexy's Midnight Runners, Bristol Colston Hall 2003. So much better than it could have been - expected revival crap, got fully fledged genius.

Honourable mentions go to:
Neil Young, Helsinki
Alice Cooper (and hilarious Dio!), Cardiff CIA
Robert Plant, Bangor University

Plenty more to come I hope!
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index