Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Ignore the hype - The Darkness SUCK.
Feb 23, 2004, 00:19
Because:

- they have resurrected the worst ever style of rock, namely early-mid 80's 'big hair' metal, are pushing it as it they've created it themselves, and are simultaneously milking the admiration of those too young to have heard this shite first time around and those who foolishly think they're being ironic, Tap-style impersonators. Bollocks. They're no more than a semi-competent tribute band to the likes of kack like Poison and past-peak-era Aerosmith and their adoption by the Brit crowd says it all. They play that style of music because they haven't the talent, insight nor imagination to do anything else.

Smelly, smelly papa is what they are. Don't be fooled - there's no irony behind this rehashed shite. Christ, even manufactured boy bands are more credible than this.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Ignore the hype? The Darkness SUCK.
Feb 23, 2004, 00:41
I'm not quibbling about the music with you cos it's gone round and round and round on here for ages and it's all been said done, t shirt bought.

I will however, point out that your use of hype is not entirely fair, regardless of what you think of the music. They worked very hard for 3-4 years and got to be the only unsigned band ever to sell out the Astoria (twice) by word of mouth and gigging alone. The press etc didnt wanna know, and record companies ignored em. Plus they are one of the few bands to get a self financed single (where the word muthafucka and cunt featured prominently, so not exactly radio friendly) into the top 40, again with no press interest.
It was only after the astoria gigs and the buzz about their live following became too big to ignore that the media got interested and subsequently record companies took any notice.
Slag the music if you don't like it - but they weren't a hype created thing despite their current ubiquity.
If a standard indie schmindie band had gone the same route people would be canonizing 'em.
amazon
amazon
959 posts

Feb 23, 2004, 00:46
Thanks for the info, Moon Cat. I didn't know any of that, most interesting.
moey
moey
770 posts

Feb 23, 2004, 02:01
I reckon that, ultimately, the Darkness will not continue their success. Not due to lack of good songs, but due to the "comedy element"

Amusing at first, but difficult to continue without becoming annoying to the public. Be interesting to see how they fare in the States - the land where they won't give Robbie Williams the time of day cos he's too camp - allegedly.

Justin will have to get his teeth done for across the pond too

moey
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: yoo ess ay?
Feb 23, 2004, 02:13
Apparently the album as sold about 165 000 in the States thus far. The advantage they have over Blobbie Williams is they are more rock rather than pop - and they are prepared to do the graft i.e gigging.

Agreed about Justin's teeth. Though it took Bowie about 30 years to sort it out so who knows....? ;^)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Ignore the hype - The Darkness SUCK.
Feb 23, 2004, 02:15
Yep. we all know this. We know this because we're grumpy old fucks who remember the cultural crimes of the past. Who was it who said a cynic is a passionate person who doesn't want to get let down again. Fuck knows. but this is the altart of the cynic here. I know I'm one. BUT this is the facts of life.
I have 2 kids, both boys, oldest is 12. One of them likes Busted, the other 'doesnt mind' the Darkness. But they also like the Dead Kennedys, Mudhoney, Fugazi & The Beastie boys. *shrug* obviously the finer points of the music politic escape them, and I hope to god they manage to stay that way as well.

Our culture is no aesthetic for social change, it's questionable that it ever was, so none of it matters really. The post modern wanker stalks our zeitgeist like a cheap pimp looking for easy cash. I think the best thing to do these days is grab a mic and go WURRAGADHSH!!!!! until everyone runs away and prints a T-shirt with WURRAGADHSH!!! on it.

I mean, its got to better than dribbling from the corner of your mouth about the power of 'shamanic rock'. That sort of talk just gets the post modern wanker all excited.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: yoo ess ay?
Feb 23, 2004, 05:10
>I reckon that, ultimately, the Darkness will not continue their success. Not due to lack of good songs, but due to the "comedy element"

Amusing at first, but difficult to continue without becoming annoying to the public. Be interesting to see how they fare in the States - the land where they won't give Robbie Williams the time of day cos he's too camp - allegedly.<

I largely agree, though maybe the Tap-ish comedy element could actually be what makes it for them in the states. They are like Spinal Tap come to life. That might catch on, at least for "15 minutes" or so.

As far as The Darkness musically -- I think they're a shitload better than Poison, Ratt, Night Ranger or a lot of the other stuff they are allegedly copying.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

The Darkness.........
Feb 23, 2004, 08:03
are Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction reincarnate!!
Nat Hate
Nat Hate
445 posts

Re: Ignore the hype - The Darkness SUCK.
Feb 23, 2004, 08:48
Which would you rather the kids listened to Darkness or Busted? Which is more likely to produce

Say your average teenager gets plenty of exposure to the darkness. As their music taste develops as they grow up they're going to look more towards rock and instrument playing talent than Maybe they'll look back at the influences like Sabbath, Alice Cooper and others who most of us here like.

Anyway I think their album is great and way better than that shitty Montrose album I bought becasue Cope said it was good hard-rocking stuff and it turned out to be even worse than a 12 CD Toto compilation.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Yawn... boring groaning old farts SUCK!
Feb 23, 2004, 09:13
Yawn........ sigh... bored with people moaning on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the Darkness.. if you don't like them ignore them, listen to Cliff Richard instead!

Jeez... at the end of the day they are lovely lovely lovely fellas who have made more cash from doing something you would love to be doing.. Maybe not in a Darkness Stylie but earning tons of cash from making music on a proper scale... maybe it's a complete case of envy and jealousy.... ;op

At the end of the day they are FAMOUS AND YOU ARE NOT!!

There we go... slag me off I don't care!! :o)

Nat xx
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index