Register
Unsung Forum »
zOVIET fRANCE

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

zOVIET fRANCE
Jan 30, 2004, 23:07
Any ZF fans here? Just digging out my old cd's and giving them their annual listens - great stuff - got 'Garista' on at the mo - fantastic!
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: zOVIET fRANCE/Garista
Jan 30, 2004, 23:30
Years back I found a tape of Garista for $1 at a shop in Cambridge ,MA..came with a nice cover of contorted faces printed on canvas/cloth in B&W

Never done a lot for me,tbt,but I did see the tape sitting out recently so I'll give it another go this weekend,perhaps.

I also once had a(n apartment) neighbor who was a big fiend for noise/industrial/odd musics...this was back in the days of vinyl...and he used to get some of the most amazingly packaged things..a number of albums by ZF (a feather that had been treated w/radiation on a sheet of metal with another metal sheet acting as the back cover, two sheets of sandpaper as a cover, and things like that) among them.
He played such a variety of music for me on my vists over..and..erum.kept a well stocked medicine cabinet,that I've no real recollection of ZF's music from the various (enjoyable) din and clatter that was played me.

What's some of their other stuff like?
Lugia
970 posts

Re: zOVIET fRANCE
Jan 31, 2004, 00:56
Ahhh, "Garista". Yep, got this one. Nice bang-clangy primitive-industrial, as I recall it...sort of in a Test Dept. vein. Annoyingly, it seems to be the only commonly-available zf stuff, since it saw some reissue action in the late 80s. A lot of their material were short/limited-run pressings in special packaging, ergo MUCH more difficult to come by.

These days, Robin Storey of zf continues on doing more ambient stuff as Rapoon. Interesting, too...ethno bits here and there, very roll-yer-eyes-back droney and deep-chilled in lots of places. Amusingly, he and I are on the same label these days:

http://www.magnatune.com/artists/

Buy his stuff. Buy mine, too, but Robin's doing some nifty work and Magnatune's got loads for online delivery. And we all get 50/50 on gross from this firm, so you oughta be supporting 'em. Check it...
Unsung Forum Index