Failure to deliver - predictions

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Pondering The Darkness
Feb 08, 2004, 18:54
"I hope The Darkness do make it big in America, so big in fact that they go over there and never come back."

That might actually happen tho no one expects it to.

Basically, The Darkness (like Interpol & The Strokes & so many others) are peddling a kind of nostalgia-fashion-rock. The Darkness do it with more humor & irony than most, in part because they emulate populist "heshers" like Night Ranger and Van Halen instead of elite "hipsters" like Joy Division and Television.

I don't think nostalgia-fashion-rock has much of a shelf life at all. Like in the 1980's there were all those neo-psych bands, did any of them last? (I can't even remember the names -- think Long Ryders was one?)

BUT -- I can imagine a scenario where The Darkness' brand of silly fun catches on with the American teeny bopper / camp-loving ironist and they actually make a real career of it as "the Real Life Spinal Tap" -- or maybe a bit like the Weird Al of Hair Metal. Of course their original fans in Britain will mostly write them off if/when that happens.

I'm thinking maybe the "novelty" factor might work in their favor career-wise, though it will probably be (already is?) the kiss of death as far as The Darkness being taken seriously as a "cool rock band."

Of the 4 "Next Big Things" on the Spin cover, I think they might surprise everyone and last longer than the others.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index