Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
JOHN LYDON on 'I'm a celeb......'

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: ....and.....Lydon....GENESIS.....!!!
Jan 28, 2004, 13:47
A good example of moaning punk-rockers is every issue of Maximun Rock And Roll since it existed!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Actually...
Jan 28, 2004, 13:50
Don't get me on about Sham 69! Pursey was a total idiot!
PaulB
188 posts

Re: Watch us wreck the mike
Jan 28, 2004, 13:53
Best. Lyric. Ever
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 13:55
I used to feel the same Lawrence but now I think his heart was in the right place, just misguided & his records weren't very good.

He turned up the documentary about Jonathan King & his kiddy fiddlin' antics. So maybe Jimmy got a bit f*cked up while young by JK.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 13:57
"You can only like what you like, and it's Stooges - good, Kiss - bad for me in the same way as it's Pistols - great, Sham 69 piss-poor."

I would go along with this & also add KLF - good, Altern8 good as well.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 13:59
I jst didn't like him 'cos he was even more naive than I am and his band was generic punk. And he was responsible for bringing nazis into the punk scene, however accidental it was...

I just hate how men in their mid-20s think they are spokesmen for teenage youth, like Sham 69 were in the 70s.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 14:01
And didn't Johnathan King put out a fascist pro-war hit single that Section 25 did a version of? King sounds like a total cunt!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 14:02
KLF's concepts were more interesting than their music IMO.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 14:03
I have an amusing little anecdote from my teenage years which might tickle yr old laughter organs here...

Myself and my mate Ben once walked into Bonaparte Records (at the time, Guildford's one independent record shop, which no longer exists), and who should be standing at the counter chatting to the staff but JP himself. Feigning complete ignorance of who he was, we went over to the "Punk / New Wave" section and started pulling out old Sham 69 records, saying "Do you remember Sham 69? Blimey, they were shite, weren't they? The arse end of punk, or what?" After about a minute and a half of this humiliation, Pursey turned a highly visible shade of beetroot and left the shop. Victory was ours that day!

Overall, though, I agree with LL and others' assertion that prog and punk are not mutually exclusive. Even parts of Gong's "Camembert Electrique" sound quite proto-punk to me, and they're often held up as an example of the archetypal hippy spume punk was supposed to get rid of (not that I'm much of a Gong fan myself, other than that album). And much of Hawkwind's early stuff sounds particularly brutal and minimal in an obviously pre-punk stylee - if they'd just cut their hair, halved the length of their longer tracks and ditched the dippy science fiction lyrics they'd have been a punk band.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 14:50
Gong - Floating Anarchy Live 1977
Opium for the people is punk defo

Hawkwind - Sonic Attack album is pretty punky if you ask me (and their best IMO)
"choose to take away your choices
make you slaves to fancy words and phrases
until you're pushing up the daisies"
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index