Unsung Forum »
JOHN LYDON on 'I'm a celeb......'

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Leon Bevan
120 posts

Keith a........Yeah you're right!
Jan 28, 2004, 10:38
Besides, he knows it will piss a lot of people off!!

He's in his late forties for god sake, he's just having a bit of fun!

This reminds me of people moaning in the mid-seventies when Can appeared on TOTP mimeing to "I Want More"

There's far too much snobbery around as it is......

.....LIGHTEN UP!!
Leon Bevan
120 posts

Mark (E.L.)P!!
Jan 28, 2004, 10:41
Not forgetting one of the album's being ELP's 'Pictures at an Exhibition!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

prog & punk
Jan 28, 2004, 10:43
Prog and punk aren't mutually exclusive and simplistic purists, as usual, have got it wrong. The Banshees, The Buzzcocks and The Pistols (well, at least Lydon) were Can fans. The Stooges were idolised by punks, yet you get 'We Will Fall' on their first album which drips with hippyness. And then there's Patti Smith who was called punk, but sounds much more prog to my ears. And then there are people around now like Sonic Youth and The Boredoms who mix the two together.

I suppose it was useful for the press and the tribal minded to have an enemy and Yes etc were ripe for it, but there's a hell of a lot of grey areas and anyone being totally factional is on pretty shaky ground really.
Leon Bevan
120 posts

....and.....Lydon....GENESIS.....!!!
Jan 28, 2004, 10:55
....I was reading a Lydon interview on the BBC website and he was talking about THAT Capitol Radio show in the summer of 1977, when he chose some of his favourite artists and tracks, he went on to say he liked some Genesis album, but he couldn't remember the name of it.

I think the only trouble about the whole 'punk think' as it were, was that it made a hole for loads of sad wankers to crawl out of and moan about fuckin' everything!
The people like Lydon and Mark E were just left-field hippies anyway and whatever they do- I find interesting........

you'll always find them- 'Out To Lunch' - as it were.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Actually...
Jan 28, 2004, 11:04
I wasn't haven't a go, I was just making a general observation.
Leon Bevan
120 posts

Re: prog & punk & the Cow goes MOO!!
Jan 28, 2004, 11:06
Too True Squire!

In the summer of 1976, I was listening to Henry Cow's "Concerts" album, there is a track by the name of "Groningen", an improv sorta thing which was named after where it was recorded live.
There are parts of this great track which pissed all over some of the 'punk bands' (that later surfaced) for sounding like sheer chaos (especially Fred Frith sounding like he was cutting at the guitar strings with a pair of scissors!
My first reaction on seeing the Pistols on 'So It Goes' was that it didn't sound THAT good, you couldn't hardly hear the guitar!
But again, I too cut my locks in a matter of weeks...
That said, I did like seeing people gurning and dressing like glam cadavers instead of lampshades and armchairs onstage! ;-)
Leon Bevan
120 posts

Re: prog & punk & the Cow goes MOO!!
Jan 28, 2004, 11:06
Too True Squire!

In the summer of 1976, I was listening to Henry Cow's "Concerts" album, there is a track by the name of "Groningen", an improv sorta thing which was named after where it was recorded live.
There are parts of this great track which pissed all over some of the 'punk bands' (that later surfaced) for sounding like sheer chaos (especially Fred Frith sounding like he was cutting at the guitar strings with a pair of scissors!
My first reaction on seeing the Pistols on 'So It Goes' was that it didn't sound THAT good, you couldn't hardly hear the guitar!
But again, I too cut my locks in a matter of weeks...
That said, I did like seeing people gurning and dressing like glam cadavers instead of lampshades and armchairs onstage! ;-)
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Keith a........Yeah you're right!
Jan 28, 2004, 12:23
I thought Can being on TOPT was great. Think it was the first time I ever heard them actually.

I did, of course, mean ostritches and not albatrosses, but hey, it was late - and learning The Rime of the Ancient Mariner at school left a distinct impression on me ; )
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Actually...
Jan 28, 2004, 12:30
ah, it's just a bit of debate. i don't think anyone's taking offence are they (i hope not)

i love loads of pre-punk stuff - the stooges (inc. we will fall!), velvets, bolan, beach boys, nick drake, doors, etc etc.

I have Gentle Giant and Man albums from days of olde and a single by Sinitta from when I should have known better (and liked Sigue Sigue Sputnik!!) so I've never pretended to be fireproof ; )
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Watch us wreck the mike
Jan 28, 2004, 12:42
Watch us wreck the mike
Watch us wreck the mike

PSYCHE!!

x
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index