Unsung Forum »
JOHN LYDON on 'I'm a celeb......'

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Well...
Feb 07, 2004, 01:19
Well I wasnt....I was questioning the "Darkness in the SUN!" BAAAAAD! "John Lydon in Sun!" IS OK! two faced bollocks.

But seeing as you asked...Hmmm Permission to Land vs Nevermind The Bollocks.

Two essentially heavy rock n roll albums fronted by mouthy, vocally unorthadox and hugely stylized vocalists. An arch knowingness about the whole thing, drawing on things that have gone before....?!

Yeah, you're right; the difference is The Darkness did it without Mclaren.
Riddley Walker
174 posts

I repent
Feb 07, 2004, 01:33
Despite my reservations earlier, I did watch some of the programme, and John Lydon was quite entertaining.

I also noticed that last weeks NME had a "20 reasons why John Lydon is more punk than ever for doing IACGMOOH"

I still can't really understand why he did it.
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Well...
Feb 07, 2004, 01:36
>Well I wasnt....I was questioning the "Darkness in >the SUN!" BAAAAAD! "John Lydon in Sun!" IS >OK! two faced bollocks.

You're right. But being in the Sun isn't why I dislike the Darkness.

> An arch knowingness about the whole thing, >drawing on things that have gone before....?!

Yeah, but the Pistols did something new with it (even if it could be argued that they did just beef it up). The Darkness sound like any number of bands from the late 70's/early 80's, albeit with Freddie Mercury doing a Pink&Perky impersonation over the top of it.

>Yeah, you're right; the difference is The Darkness >did it without Mclaren.

The more I think about it, so did the Pistols!!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Well...and also and stuff
Feb 07, 2004, 01:48
You say Freddie Mercury doing a Pinky and Perky impression as if it's a bad idea! See, I guess that's why we'll always differ ;^)

Anyhoo, I shall maintain that despite all Dog 3000's going on about it and very lazy comparisons to 80's metal bands; The Darkness's references are not primarily 80's metal. Its the early 70's heavy Queen and the twin guitar of Thin Lizzy with the huge choruses that is the major source of their thang.
Even some UFO in there.

Anyhow. You don't like 'em with a passion; I love the album and I'm too old to give a monkeys nads about irony, who gives one really?

And people are wrong about Brain Donor being a 'larf' too. I think Cope MEANS that as much as anything else he's done. Read the Q&A's elsewhere on this site for his hatred of 'irony' in music.
keith a
9570 posts

Feb 07, 2004, 11:15
yeah i've read julian's comments about irony. and whilst i believe he believes it, i don't. c'mon, what's the fake american accent and viet vet look all about?

don't get me wrong, i think there are 4-5 ace BD tracks and last yr's liverpool gig was superb, but no-one can tell me he wasn't playing it for laughs. and yeah, i suspect that the Darkness are too - they do make me laugh, honestly - it's just that when people say their music is good I have a problem with them.

ps i quite liked thin lizzy at the time and i'm sure phil lynott will be turning in his grave if he reads your Darkness comparison ; )
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 07, 2004, 14:39
Well, I think the fact that Dan Hawkins is insistant
on wearing a Lizzy T-shirt onstage at every gig is because he is a massive fan of the band - and not in an ironic sense either. I think there's a sense of fun about the band sure, but there is a genuine love of what they do and the music they are referring to. The things needn't be mutually exclusive. I'm sure Phil Lynott had his dafter moments too.

Cope has been talking in cod american accents with one eye on rock folly during his banter moments way before BD. And again, no reason why Cope can't be 'serious' about BD (and LAMF and so on) and not have fun it it was well. I mean, Cope as po-faced 'serious artiste' doesn't hold much appeal for me.
Nanook
Nanook
41 posts

Re: I repent
Feb 07, 2004, 19:14
'e did it "for the NAY-CHA"
James Aswell
21 posts

Re: Future Contenders..........
Feb 07, 2004, 20:13
God no, nothing wrong with Margi! It was the ghastly combination, the melting pot-ness of it all. and still shocked at the very small amount of time it took me to compile such a list, too. J.A. x
keith a
9570 posts

Feb 08, 2004, 12:53
>I'm sure Phil Lynott had his dafter moments too.

Well becoming a smackhead wasn't one of his better moves.

> I mean, Cope as po-faced 'serious artiste'
> doesn't hold much appeal for me.

Sure he's always had a GSOH as they say in the personal classifieds (not that I've been checking!), and his on-stage banter has always been a source of pleasure for me - though I've witnessed his tantrums, notably Club Zoo way back when he told the audience to stop being so sanctimonious and stormed off leaving a rather bemused looking band standing there ("see you in a minute - I hope", said Mr Balfe).

As for a po-faced serious artist, I'm not suggesting that for a moment, though most of my fave solo Cope albums - Fried, WSYM, Peggy, etc - aren't exactly comedies. I would, however, be happier if our Jules concentrated more on 'proper' solo offerings than being a rock Barron Knight.

"Rome...", where the two sides are merged IMO, is probably a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned, cos I'm loving a good 75% of it.
Red Lead
32 posts

Re: Future Contenders..........
Feb 09, 2004, 08:51
Are Gen's tits a match for Jordan's yet? ;-)
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index