Acceptable face of prog

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Acceptable face of prog
Jan 21, 2004, 13:51
Camel had their moments on earlier albums... Camel, Mirage, Moon Madness and Rain Dances. There was the Snow Goose too, but I never owned that one so can't comment.

Some early Genesis can be OK too (Genesis, Nursery Crime, Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound era)... but good moments can be out numbered by much of the fey twaddle they produced too. Peter Gabriel definitely bolstered them and much of the solo stuff on his first four solo albums is well worth a check... dunno' if you'd call it prog tho'.

Surprisingly... some Group X stuff featuring Phil Collins isn't bad in a Jazz Rock kind of way (and believe me... I wouldn't call anything that included Phil Collins 'not bad' if I could help it).

Jethro Tull's first couple of albums 'This Was' and 'Stand Up' are great... 'Benefit' , 'Thick as a Brick' and 'Aqualung' are OK too... but then the folky influence took too strong a hold and they became patchy (in my humble opinion!).

Hawkwind's 'Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music' album could be classed as prog rock I guess... not as spacey as their previous albums with a bit of a jazzy influence in places. A lot of Hawkwind fans don't like it... but I think it's good... especially 'The Aubergine That Ate Rangoon'... very different from their usual stuff. Steppenwolf and Reefer Madness are great.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index