Acceptable face of prog

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Acceptable face of prog
Jan 19, 2004, 22:25
I don't much like "prog" at all, so since I am less "accepting" maybe these prog things I do like could be considered "acceptable"!

ELP - many of their records are not too good, but I do enjoy the first one & "Trilogy" -- the first side of Tarkus (the side-long title track) is also good in an over-the-top way.

Van der Graaf Generator - like ur-prog, the way it should be. Makes groups like ELP sound silly by comparison. "H to He" & "Pawn Hearts" are where to start. The latter post-1975 albums strike me as more like "art rock" than prog rock if that distinction makes sense.

Pink Floyd - very acceptable mainstream dino-rock with lots of "prog" tendencies at least up til 1977 or so.

Caravan -- does they count as prog? I spose. Very melodic with a hippy-jam vibe sometimes. Nice whimsical toonage.

Genesis -- can't stand any of it!! Gabriel was a good singer, but the rest of them were always so wuss.

Yes -- mildly like about half their stuff up to "Fragile", very overrated imho!

Hawkwind -- the early stuff I wouldn't consider "prog" as it's too loud and too sloppy. Probably better that way.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index