Unsung Forum »
Unrecognizable Cover Versions

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Petermaxx
17 posts

Re: Unrecognizable Cover Versions
Dec 31, 2003, 21:47
Mark Kozelek, the leader of The Red House Painters and more lately Sun Kil Moon, did a solo album a couple of years ago called What's Next to the Moon. It is an entire album of AC/DC covers done mostly acoustically. It's one album that has stayed in my CD player almost constantly. If you didn't know it, you would never guess the songs were by AC/DC.

The Red House Painters is a band that does great , often unrecognizable, cover versions. My favorite is their acoustic version of The Cars' "All Mixed Up."

Speaking of albums of cover versions, there seems to be a new trend of covering entire albums. Mary Lee's Corvette released an album playing Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks live. Of course it can't beat the original, but hearing a woman sing those songs is rather a revelation. Similarly, Carla Bozulich of The Geraldine Fibbers has just released a CD covering Willie Nelson's entire Red Headed Stranger album. Some of her versions are unrecognizable. I recommend both, especially if you are a fan of the originals.

Bongwater is another band that reliably covers songs in an unrecognizable fashion. They had a penchant for covering Led Zeppelin songs, and actually covered one of the songs in Chinese.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index