Unrecognizable Cover Versions

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Unrecognizable Cover Versions
Dec 31, 2003, 11:47
Elbow's 'Independent Woman' c'est fantastique!
Bors
28 posts

Re: Unrecognizable Covers - Sonic Youth
Dec 31, 2003, 11:59
Anyone remember Get into the Groovy - Ciccione Youth or something but was actually Sonic Youth covering Madonna. I think they also did a very fine 'Addicted to Love'.
Petermaxx
17 posts

Re: Killdozer!
Dec 31, 2003, 21:35
The original of "One Tin Soldier," the theme song to the movie Billy Jack, was by The Coven.
Petermaxx
17 posts

Dec 31, 2003, 21:47
Mark Kozelek, the leader of The Red House Painters and more lately Sun Kil Moon, did a solo album a couple of years ago called What's Next to the Moon. It is an entire album of AC/DC covers done mostly acoustically. It's one album that has stayed in my CD player almost constantly. If you didn't know it, you would never guess the songs were by AC/DC.

The Red House Painters is a band that does great , often unrecognizable, cover versions. My favorite is their acoustic version of The Cars' "All Mixed Up."

Speaking of albums of cover versions, there seems to be a new trend of covering entire albums. Mary Lee's Corvette released an album playing Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks live. Of course it can't beat the original, but hearing a woman sing those songs is rather a revelation. Similarly, Carla Bozulich of The Geraldine Fibbers has just released a CD covering Willie Nelson's entire Red Headed Stranger album. Some of her versions are unrecognizable. I recommend both, especially if you are a fan of the originals.

Bongwater is another band that reliably covers songs in an unrecognizable fashion. They had a penchant for covering Led Zeppelin songs, and actually covered one of the songs in Chinese.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Bongwater
Jan 01, 2004, 22:41
"Dazed & Chinese" is the Zep song, sung in Chinese (actually pretty irritating!)

From the album "Double Bummer" where they also cover Soft Machine, Gary Glitter, the Monkees (a Nesmith original), Johnny Cash, the Beatles (both a Lennon & a Harrison tune), and Tuli Kupferberg of the Fugs!
Ratshag
31 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 17:02
Just a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

What Dinosaur Jnr did to The Cure's Just Like Heaven

The magnificent version of You've Lost That Loving Feeling on the first Human League album (and Only After Dark that someone mentioned, from Travelogue)

I've got an album called 'The World Still Won't Listen' which is Smiths covers by obscure US hardcors bands, the versions of London and Shoplifters of the World are particularly good.

Also

Manics do Mondays WFL

Raincoats version of Lola, and a not much cop Cud version which was the first version of that song I ever heard, I didn't know about the breakdown bit until I heard the real one, Cud miss it out.

The Strepsils version of Oasis's Live Forever

Also, this odd bossanovasuicide version of Reynard I did when I was a messy teen, that's quite odd.

Lee
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 20:51
Dinosaur Jr also did "The boy with the thorn in his side". If you didn't like their version of 'Just like heaven' you should probably try to avoid it at all costs!
Leon Bevan
120 posts

THE RESIDENTS!!
Jan 13, 2004, 21:49
"Third Reich and Roll"

Enough said! :-O
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Julian
Jan 13, 2004, 22:09
Didn't Island Records want him to do a covers album to follow Saint Julian? Did I dream this?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 23:14
I never even liked the original version! That was when the Cure pretty much blew their wad artistically and became dopey party-rock 'goth'. And the Dinosaur Jr. version just turned it into dopey slacker-rock.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index