Unsung Forum »
Unrecognizable Cover Versions

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Unrecognizable Cover Versions
Dec 20, 2003, 17:55
Was listening to the Johnny Thunders version of Marc Bolans' "The Wizard"(bonus track on the 'So Alone' CD) which is really just the coda to "Ride A White Swan" with Johnny mumbling "he was a wizard and he was my friend" over and over-nothing like the original at all! Nikki Sudden is also notorious for this-his versions of Neil Young's "Captain Kennedy" and Bolan's "Cat Black" bear scant resemblance to the originals. What are some of your favourite reinterpretations/re-jiggings/manglings?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Unrecognizable Cover Versions
Dec 20, 2003, 18:46
Stina Nordenstam's covers album ("People Are Strange") is filled with some of the most radical, unrecognisable, yet incredibly beautiful reworkings. Her version of Prince's "Purple Rain" takes an already incredible song and turns it into one of the most heartbreaking things you'll ever hear.

It's a spectacular album; well worth tracking down if you've not already got it.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Dec 20, 2003, 22:38
In my head I can hear a hardcore powerpop version of Sun Comes Up Its Tuesday Morning by Cowboy Junkies, done like a ballsy Lemonheads. I nearly once got a band together just so it could actually exist.
keith a
9564 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 00:17
a couple i'd have to go for (off the top of my head)...

everyone's a winner (baby!) by alan vega

d'ya think i'm sexy - the revolting cocks

both sure to bring a smile to my face!!

best cover of a bolan song is a difficult one (I've got more than my fair share of dodgy ones), though i suppose i'd have to nominate bauhaus version of telegram sam as one of the more ridiculous...

still kinda like it, mind.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2356 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 14:31
Giant Sand had (have?) a CD out of very weird cover versions called 'A Cover Magazine(A Retirement Feature)'.
You Gotta hear em' to believe em' really, esp their version of The Sabs' Iron Man.
Here's the track listing...and not one sounds like the original.

1. Paso/Out on the Weekend
2. Johnny Hit and Run Pauline
3. Iron Man
4. Human/Lovely Head
5. Beat Goes On
6. Plants and Rags
7. Wayfaring Stranger/Fly Me to the Moon
8. Red Right Hand
9. King of the Road
10. I'm Leaving Now
11. Blue Marble Girl
12. Inner Flame
13. Beat Goes On
You can hear snippets of a few tracks at Amazon.

Also loved The Jesus and Mary Chains Version of 'Ambition', and Primal Screams version of 'Know Your Rights', which comes on like a Happy Mondays funk track, grooovy.
Also Shockabilly did some decidedly odd versions of some 'classic' tracks on their 'Earth VS' And 'Vietnam' albums. You gotta hear 'Lucifer Sam' to believe it, ditto 'Purple Haze' and '19th Nervous Breakdown'.
booga
booga
129 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 17:45
Anybody remember Derpartment S's version of Solid Gold Easy Action? Bit ropey, but did actually bear resemblance to the orig, so against the point I suppose.

Anyway, Tori Amos's "Raining Blood" Slayer cover was (predictably) nothing like the original.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

The Beat Goes On
Dec 21, 2003, 18:02
Ever heard the Vanilla Fudge album "The Beat Goes On"? It's a concept album about the history of the world using a Sonny Bono tune as it's main theme. Truly on of the most wretchedly horrible albums ever released. They also massacre Beethoveen, the Beatles, and others.

A much better cover-oriented concept album is William Shatner's opus "The Transformed Man." Beside the Dylan and Beatles tunes you've probably already heard, there's also tunes made famous by Sinatra and Jobim, as well as Shakespeare set to music. It's a classic!
Gogs
40 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 18:15
Jandek's House Of The Rising Sun
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: The Beat Goes On
Dec 21, 2003, 19:19
I agree that The Beat Goes On was awful, but probably funny -- I wouldn't know 'cos I sold my copy after hearing it. Well I remember that comment by Vinnie Appice (I think) concerning ice cream. I suppose that was supposed to pass for psychedelic...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: The Beat Goes On
Dec 21, 2003, 19:29
That Fudge album is a little bit funny, but not nearly funny enough to listen to all the way through if you ask me . . . . though I did know this acid/speed head who swore it was one of the greatest things ever recorded, and I think he was serious!
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index