Topic View: Flat | Threaded
242 posts

Re: Worst albums by best bands
Nov 24, 2003, 23:17
side a? I mean side 1. I have it on tape you see
242 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 23:22
Am not overly fond of vintage violence by John Cale. Am not very good at this cos I get rid of and forget any albums not up to scratch.
Jah Wobble - Psalms. OOh that was bad stuff. And I'm rathe fond of Jah - i've just ordered his collaboration with Evan Parker, something about going to Hades.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 23:32
Graffitti Bridge was the last album by Prince I ever bought -- it had a couple good songs, maybe enough to fill one side of vinyl but certainly not four. Always loved that The Time song though, "Shake" or something like that?

As for REM! [/rant on] I gave up on them when Green came out. I was recently listening to their olde 80's stuff, they were The Shit back in the day (partly because popular music was so crap then) and partly because they had a layered and mysterious sound. But Green has that horrid "Big Hair Sound" production c. 1988 and only about 4 decent tunes on the record (two of them being "Pop Song 89" and "Stand" which point the way towards fuckin "Shiny Happy People"), and it continued downhill after that (i.e., "Shiny Happy People"!) Then Stipe got all serious and shaved his head to look like a monk. Nowadays Michael Stipe makes my skin crawl. I am allergic to anyone with Messianic Muso pretentions. And Peter Buck was always overrated anyway -- he's nothing but a very proficient studio hack. (Their rhythm section is actually pretty good though -- smokes U2 that's for sure.) [/rant off]

Whew I feel better now!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

more late 80's flops from underground
Nov 24, 2003, 23:48
Black Flag "In My Head" (1986) -- another great band stumbles off the stage with a lame final album. The songs aren't really that bad (the live versions prove it) but the production is icky with lots of reverb and little energy. Like bad 80's metal.

Meat Puppets "Mirage" (1987) -- after 3 classic albums where they grew by leaps & bounds every time, their 4th record is sterile and not that interesting. It still sounds like them, just blander. Supposedly this was the first time they actually spent a lot of time in the studio (several months) working on a record. The result is too much tinkery overdubbing, not much ROCKIN' and certainly no FREAKIN' OUT. They recovered six months later with "Huevos" (also 1987) which they only spent 4 days recording -- it DOES rock and the songs are better too.

Replacements "Don't Tell A Soul" (1988) -- pathetic attempt to crossover to mainstream success. In fact "I'll Be You" actually was a minor hit single. But there's only 2 other half decent tunes, "Talent Show" & "Achin' To Be". That's a reaal low ratio of hits to filler. Worse yet, on the back of the album is a photomontage group pic where Westerberg's head is huger than everyone else put together (like the cover of The Doors LP) -- he had a big head all right! Never a good sign when one guy becomes "the star" and everyone else gets shoved to the back. Bob Stinson was long gone and his replacement was a zero (no personality = no threat to Der Paulenfuhrer) -- and supposedly they were heavily in to sniffing coke around this time. Their next album (which was their last one) was better, but really more of a Westerberg solo album.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 23:52
Speaking of U2 . . .

I never liked "The Joshua Tree", but "Rattle & Hum" is even worse. Egotistical messianic tourist rock!

"Achtung Baby" totally kicks ass though. I also like "Unforgettable Fire" more than most people seem to.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Nov 25, 2003, 00:16
Ooh yeah, Dog - that mention of 'Presence' is indeed a bit controversial...personally I class it evenly with 'III' and the first record of 'Graffiti' as my fave Zep release. But horses for courses and all that.

Here's a few personal suggestions:

Free 'Free At Last' - turgid in the extreme;
Procol Harum 'Something Magic' - fucking tragic you mean;
Jethro Tull 'A' - yawn;
The Who 'It's Hard' - aye, damned hard to sit through this one;
The Beatles 'Beatles For Sale' - autopilot kack, 'No Reply' excepted;
Roxy Music - all albums after 'Viva', especially 'Avalon' which gives me the zeds every time.

I'm sure I can think of loads more. But I can't be bothered.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Back at ya!
Nov 25, 2003, 00:57
Well "Beatles For Sale" is my favorite of their first four albums, so there!

Speaking of The Who, "Who Are You" is pretty awful by their standards. Keith Moon's drumming just isn't up to it. And the songs are sort of mediocre in the first place.

I almost wouldn't even count the albums they did after Moon died, OF COURSE they're worse than the ones with him.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Black Slabbath
Nov 25, 2003, 01:07
"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is the worst of the original Ozzy/Sabbath albums, agreed?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Black Slabbath
Nov 25, 2003, 01:36
No...Technical Ecstacy & Never Say Die are far more poopy.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Black Slabbath
Nov 25, 2003, 02:17
I kinda like TechEcs -- in truth I haven't listened to NevSay in so long I barely remember it.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index