Worst albums by best bands

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Worst albums by best bands
Nov 24, 2003, 17:17
In the spirit of making useless lists, what do you think are the worst records by some of the best bands?

A few obvious ones:

Beatles "Let It Be" -- Phil Spector ruined it and the Fabs stumbled off the stage with a whimper instead of a bang. Need to hear the new "naked" version, maybe they finally fixed it. I liked the movie, too -- what they played there seemed better than the original record.

Pink Floyd "Momentary Lapse of Reason" -- of course Roger Waters is a "right cunt" as y'all brits like to say. But man do they stink without him!

And a more controversial choice:

Led Zeppelin "Presence" -- first song is OK (but not great), and the rest is dull. I like all their others records better, even "Coda".
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: Worst albums by best bands
Nov 24, 2003, 17:39
monster by rem? it's monkeyspunk!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 18:59
"Led Zeppelin "Presence" -- first song is OK (but not great), and the rest is dull"

I have to agree that presencehas more than a fair share of lacklustre (For Your Life) and complete worthless pap (Candy Store Rock), but, BUT BUT
!! Nah nah nah nah nahh naaaa-ahh!...

...having Achilles Last Stand AND Nobody's Fault But Mine within that weirdest of covers, it is STILL better than 99.9% of all other rock records anywhere ever ;-P

Dunno why but I just remembered how good Trampled Underfoot is, what's that crazy bass sound? And that organ break!! (quickly followed by another shameless year raving about thuh Zep)
Anyone else notice the shameless funk in Trampled Underfoot?

Onwards and threadwards:

Personal votes go to

1. Thomas Dolby "Aliens Ate My Buick'
I'm sorry but I loved The Golden Age of Wireless and big chunks of The Flat Earth, but then he went Stateside and somehow committed creative suicide forever.

2. Killing Joke "Outside The Gate"

My favourite 80's GNASHDESTROYGNYURGGHY! band went to kaka. Yes Night Time was foppish but we forgave them for Love Like Blood, yes Brighter Than A Thousand Suns was pompous, but we crossed the Rubicon nonetheless. But Outside The Gate only proved that Jaz Coleman's ring was a shit place to record an LP, and the acoustics sucked as much as the more-self-aggrandising-than-usual lyrics.
Metalpub
130 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 19:14
Re Outside the Gate.

This is the only Killing Joke album I own, and although it's regarded by the cognoscenti as being, ahem, unrepresentative of their ouvre (or shit, if you prefer); I've always liked it.
For a start, it's totally WRONG. Pompous synths opening with a brassy fanfare, ending with a Steinway piano coda, specially recorded at Abbey Road. Rapping courtesy of Jaz Coleman's cousin who also held the Guinness Book of Records for fastest rapper.
Q magazine gave it the cherished ONE STAR review, and I knew I had to own a copy (99p from Magic Music in Clacton-on-Sea).
"I put on my mask, I go down the path, I go through the arch, Outside the Gate."
Pure hokum of course, but for me at least, very entertaining.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Pure Hokum
Nov 24, 2003, 19:20
'America' had lyrics that ring true, so there is maybe redemption!

"MaybeRedemption" may or may not be the title of KJs next offering ;-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 20:02
Prince - Graffitti Bridge & Emancipation. Just that period of symbol bloke releasing anything he'd recorded. Just seemed to lose the quality control and go for the notion that hours of patchy half formed ideas would make up for a lack of the superlative stuff he'd made his name with. Still The Rainbow Children makes up for it.

REM -UP. Lost the drummer, lost direction and floundering. Kind of lauded at the time as a brave departure - but tentative sonic experimentalism don't make up for the fact that such a song based band had forgotten to come up with any tunes. 'Stick some synths on 'em, no one will notice.' Well they did!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Pure Hokum
Nov 24, 2003, 21:54
I think Jaz had a nervous breakdown recording that album, which I don't have but would like to hear even if it is cynical shit. His breakdown might have had to do with his occult obsessions, from what I hear...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 21:57
I think definitely Santana's next-to-last album with that wimp from Matchbox 20 -- got airplay on all the Clear Channel 'pop' stations that play the same 6 songs five times a day!
Serotonin
175 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 23:13
look no further than the early - mid-80s mire that the classic, established pantheon of songwriters found themselves in....

Neil Young - Landing On Water/Everybody's Rockin'
Lou Reed - Mistrial
David Bowie - Tonight/Never Let Me Down
Bob Dylan - Saved/Shot Of Love/Empire Burlesque
Eric Clapton - August
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut/Lapse Of Reason

and of course, my ultimate nomination for this stinker-by-legend honour:

Can - Rite Time.

bought it out of curiosity.

listened to it once.

cried.

listened to Tago Mago for six hours.

felt better.

took Rite Time back to the shop.
242 posts

Nov 24, 2003, 23:16
I have a fondness that I probably shouldn't have for this album too. It is very pompous and over the top, but somehow it doesn't offend me as much as others. And that last song on side a is quite lush - that one about coming home in dreams on summery english afternoons.
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index