Register
Unsung Forum »
Youth/String Cheese Incident (!)

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Youth/String Cheese Incident (!)
Oct 11, 2003, 01:20
I forgot to mention something weird I read about in Entertainment Weekly(!) Apparently Youth of Killing Joke has produced the latest album by the String Cheese Incident -- another one of those sub-Grateful Dead/prog outfits like Phish you read about ad nauseum in Relix magazine, which isn't my bag. Totally weird paring if I might say so!

Anyways, the critics have all raved about Killing Joke's lastest, but what I heard hasn't fried my bacon (and I'm a big KJ fan!)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Youth/String Cheese Incident (!)
Oct 11, 2003, 09:09
Does Youth have anything to do with the latest Killing Joke incarnation?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 11, 2003, 12:13
Yep. It's Jazz, Geordie, Youth and Raven with Dave Grohl on drums. And the new album is not a classic KJ album (but I only like the first eponymous one, 'What's this for ?' and a couple of tracks from Firedances), however, it's still definitely worth a listen.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 11, 2003, 13:15
Well, I liked the first two albums and I even liked the underrated third where Jaz seems to be the most obsessive with Freemasonic groups... (Especially judging by the cover art.)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Oct 11, 2003, 14:59
Geordie used the frighten the crap out of me back when I used to go to see them in the early 80s. A huge muscled man who barely moved but got a massive, MASSIVE sound out of his guitar.
Youth just used to look dirty (unclean, not lusty!)
'Pyssche' is my fave, though I have to admit to not hearing much after the first couple of albums.

I don't think much of the single out now, but I'll hunt out the new album and give it a listen...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 11, 2003, 17:20
The band always said they wanted Geordie to sound like an orchestra, and he managed to succeed at times.
Unsung Forum Index