Led Zep kick ass

276 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Re: Led Zep kick ass
Aug 05, 2015, 18:30
I love Zeppelin to my core. From the moment I heard Kashmir when I was 15, I was hooked...that moment started a lifelong passion for their music, and for the music that inspired them.
It took me on a great journey into the blues, and introduced me to the Wolf, and Willie Dixon, and Joni Mitchel and eastern music (which the Beatles helped draw me towards).
I dove deep into the live recordings and my pulse always quickened when I heard about a new sound board recording, or a liberated un-released show.
For me, Zeppelin was always the std by which others were measured (for good or bad).
they were aces in the studio making everything sound massive.
The quality of the performances in the studio was top notch, and Jimmy's production skills were amazing...Everything they recorded sounded important, and the passion never seemed to wane as they changed from one style to another.
They were type cast as cock rock, but fans know they have the "light & shade" going on, blending rock into blues, folk, country, funk, & prog. they made interesting music to listen to, and it took you on a journey...these were not "mere" songs...they were epics.

I have nearly every live bootleg that has been released.
they always played with full force, and always had humor in the background...they were cocky, but had the talent and songs to back it up.

I also have all avail outtakes that show the songs development in the studio, and I cherish every note of these.

the re-issue series has been a great achievement, tho' I had hopes for more rarities vs rough mixes of existing songs, but...that's my issue to deal with.

ROBERT....Robert as a solo artist has not failed to keep me entertained (but, truth be told, I cannot stand a note his Shaken-n-Stirred cd...I hate it).
He has been 100% true to his musical vision, and his pursuits have made his live shows very engaging. Boredom must be avoided and Robert does that by changing up the arrangements of his songs, and I LOVE that he does that. Stay home and listen to the cd if that's all you want to hear...I love the change ups and the stretching out...that was part of the Zeppelin ethic IMO. In just the last 8 years he's put out music ranging from Americana country & bluesgrass to spacey rock jams to his latest which is a variety of styles...always entertaining and never the same...it's evolution. Moving forward.
Robert introduced me to Tinarwien, the great Mali-blues band, and I forever indebted to him for that, and everything else.

I don't want a Zep reunion...I very happy with the way things and where they seem to be going.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index