August Album of the Month

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: yeah well
Aug 02, 2003, 13:45
Cool. will use emotes in future, so as not to confuse.

And where did I call anyone a wanker ? and if you didnt want another weekend of this kind of debate then why wade in in the first place.
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Re: August Album of the Month
Aug 02, 2003, 14:12
So, how many people here have actually heard the albums in question then? I'd like to know honest opinions, nothing tongue in cheek implied. From the review (if you read it) I didn't get any impressions Julian's championing anything other than the first four albums (he makes it clear in the review: avoid the collision). ALL I have heard here is that Van Halen suck (everyone knows they do) BUT maybe the first four albums are worth listening to. And I mean listening to - simple. It's like those people who missed the point after all that Krautrock was championed by buying everything to do with old gits Kraftwerk!
Oh and Judas Priest? when? where?
As for Kiss, I don't think he has ever championed anything other than Hotter Than Hell and the Kiss Alives. Julian is not keen on the rest of the Kiss albums.
Oh by the way, Fleetwood Mac? I have no problems liking the first albums at all (Peter Green's) and despising the rest which has Nowt to do with the rest of their production.

What's so strange about this?

XXX
GP
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 14:29
I havent personally got the energy to get soOo caught up in the first 4 lps of van helen ... any more than I have the time to care about kiss!!!
However what I do have time for ... is what Julian does with music ... !

tHE METAL ting is not my bag so it is hard to read Julians long reviews about these rubbish bands!

I think some attention to modern day rawk n' roll wouldn't go a miss here JuLiaN!!!!
.. after all there is some really good Nu Music tOo ... jUlIan e'h ?

Van Halen are really rubbish ... AND THEy don't rock at all!
YarLianaconfusedfaN?
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 14:43
I don't see your point: Have you heard the AOTM's for Oct Nov Dec Feb Marc Jun at all, mate? You can't get more NEW than that! In fact, it was time something 'not new' was talked about! It's been predominantly new for the last 10 months or so!!!

Oh and you haven't got the energy? That's what it's all about, mate! Find it, then come back and talk about what's on offer.

XXX
GP

PS Brilliant, the 'new stuff' recently on AOTM's too by the way.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Saxon
Aug 02, 2003, 15:22
Hey, 'Motorcycle man' is one of my favourite choons.

:-)

ROCK!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: We all have our NOT guilty pleasures
Aug 02, 2003, 15:34
Exactly! All this fuss because a couple of people don't like Van Halen and ain't afraid to admit it! Van fucking Halen!
I like this board because everyone seems well informed and good at writing (that's why I usually just read it and don't write myself), so today is an eye-opener...

I think the Teardrop Explodes were shite...
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

I agree
Aug 02, 2003, 15:42
One CANNOT be snooty about music. If it rocks, IT ROCKS.

And as for the rest of this thread, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I find Cope's mystikal Halen (step outside of their metaphor) comments as crazily contrived as those poopy-snobbed anti Halen comments tho, so who am I to comment?
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 15:49
Yea well u can get worked up about all this stuff if you want dude ... sure that is a kewl way to spend your time listening to old music that once and still does mean summat to you I have no argument to present to you there ... However what I feel is wrong with this forum and this divide of cope fans is that as the years have gone by ppl tend to follow cope from different periods of his stardom and even cope has to admit that he has chopped and changed styles in his own music enough to create a diverse following ... and also he has put ppl off with his ever changing styles ... personally I admire the man for it more power to him!

But as a person who writes songs too ... for many years now I have become bored with cutting ege muso angst, my teenage years are long gone and I just like what I like when I hear what I hear ! If I like it enough I buy it. I personally hate most metal beevas and bit head music cus I was into punk when I was KID !

Also if you make music as I do ... it prevents me from having the time or space in my brain to be bothered with Van FoOOkin HALEN or the long winded reviews of ppl who r lucky enough to have the time to listen to music all day!

I AM ToO BUSY MAKING mUSIC pAL!

bLOWSaBIG KISSmASssmiLeatcha!

YarLianSINGERofSongs*
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: We all have our NOT guilty pleasures
Aug 02, 2003, 16:42
Not really, just being stupid.
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 17:17
As anyone who has seen a recent interview with EVH will attest, the man is a spiteful prick.However, for better or worse, he was the most influential guitarist since Hendrix and managed to forge a unique, instantly identifiable sound which most of his slavish imitators never even approached. Roth's Borscht-belt schtick kept things from getting too serious-anyone lumping them in with Maiden/Priest et al has clearly never heard the band.It's called a sense of humor and it's often sorely missing from rock'n'roll.Sexist? I don't think so. That's DAVE in bondage on the WACF poster, not some bleach-blonde band-aid(He's done a twist!) Did Dave like pussy? Probably just as much as any red-blooded male in his twenties(ok, maybe a little bit more). If anyone wants to cite a Van Halen lyric that is demeaning to women I'm all ears-oh yeah, I forgot, you've never heard them.
Anyway, I found Julian's recasting of VH as shamanic
fucking hilarious. Lighten up, Heads!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index